Adding Yeast nutrient while fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading supplementary instructions for a big stout and it calls for addition of oxygen after 12 hours in the ferm...no biggie, I have the stuff to do that.

It also says to add yeast nutrient in several steps, with two of those coming after fermentation has begun. From a sanitation perspective, how does one go about doing that? Do you boil a small amount of water and add the nutrient to that, cool and put in the fermenter? Can you just add it directly (this seems risky at best to me)?

For saftey, I would boil it, cool it and pour it in.

Better safe than sorry, the boiling will also help dissolve the nutrients making them easier for the yeast to use.

Just add the yeast nutrient 10mins from the end of the boil. No need to add it during fermentation if there is any need to add it at all.

Sounds like the staggered nutrient addition plan with mead.

What is the OG of the stout?

This is a kit I got on discount. The supplementary instructions say:

"In addition, you should look to add extra yeast nutrient to the beer. Adopting a staggered nutrient addition regiment, similar to that used by mead makers to ensure healthy and complete fermentations in high stress scenarios. Instead of adding the entire dose of nutrients when you pitch your yeast, simply add 1/3 of a full dose at pitch, another 1/3 after the lag phase has ended, and a final 1/3 a day later. Basically, this keeps the yeast happy without feeding them a bunch of nutrient up front where they may get lazy after a day or two."​

Why don't you!!! Somone answer my questions!

"Lazy" isn't the term I would use. Yeast need nutrients to function properly, but you don't want to overload them up front or they will get stressed out.

Say that you just won a contest from your local bakery for a years supply of donuts. Would you opt to receive all the donuts at once and just go to town on them, or would you choose to grab a couple free donuts every day and enjoy them throughout the year? The former sounds like fun, but you aren't gonna feel very good and might start producing some "off flavors" [emoji23]

Back