Adding vanilla beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had 3 fresh vanilla beans to my secondary for 5 days and due to being out of town and other challenges, I have to keg right away. So, since it seems like the beans weren't in long enough I wanted to put them in a sack and let them sit in the keg at room temps to allow it to get more flavor.
Should this be a problem? Any idea how long I should leave it sit in the keg?
I've never used vanilla beans before and can't find much on leaving them in the keg.
Thanks!

I've got a couple vanilla beans hanging in a sack in a keg as we speak. Mine were soaked in bourbon with some oak chips for a week or so prior to (all of it) going into the keg...made the same beer last year (before I was kegging), and left it on the beans for ~1 month in secondary. I'm at about 2 weeks this time around, and I'm thinking I'm going to leave the beans in, and get the keg into the fridge to start carbonating.

I am doing Adventures in Home Brewing vanilla porter and their directions said to leave the beans in secondary for just one week, so I'm bottling tomorrow as they would have sat in secondary for one week only. We'll see how it turns out. I soaked mine in vodka prior to racking. I asked about soaking them in vanilla flavored vodka, but they said that could result in "vanilla overload" so I just went with standard vodka to sanitize them. Hope it turns out a yummy brew.

I did a vanilla porter a month or so ago, left the beans in keg for about 10 days, then removed and FC'd the keg. Wonderful aroma and taste, still does as I had some last night.

Thanks guys. Gonna keg this today and see how it tastes then decide if I want to add/keep the vanilla in the keg a bit. I've read that the vanilla taste can start off strong but leave the beer rather quickly so my hope is that a little vanilla left in the keg will not be enough for an over taste but be enough to help the flavor last until the keg kicks.

Latest posts

Back