Adding Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaw11g

Reaction score
There's so much discussion on here about adding sugar to one's beer, but it seems like that discussion inevitably becomes preoccupied with the argument over what type of sugar to use. I'm not to concerned with that particular argument, both sides seem to have pros and cons, but rather I'm trying to raise my ABV, and would like to know what tips people have about when to add sugar into the beer making process. If I intend to add sugar to the bottle for conditioning, is it superfluous, or a bad idea even to add to the wort? Or, can I add the sugar to the wort, and decrease the amount of sugar in the bottle? What's everyone's thoughts on what stage of the process is best for adding sugar?

If you're raising gravity it goes in the boil. You can feed incrementally during fermentation but I'd suggest leaving that alone until you have a better handle on the whole process. If you plan to bottle condition you use only enough to produce carbonation in the bottle. There's not really any wiggle room I can think of. That's pretty much your only options.

For the love of God don't add more than 1.5oz per gallon at bottling. Bottling sugar is used to carbonate, not to raise the abv.

Adding sugar to wort will raise the ABV and lower the FG (drying out the beer).
Some styles this is encouraged and others it is not.

My advice:
Decide what you want the OG to be, if you are not there add sugar in increments until you get there.
Just expect that your FG will be slightly lower due to this addition and you may possibly get more alcohol that you were originally shooting for.
Make sure you pitch enough yeast to chew through the extra sugar, keep a close eye on your temps, and install a blow off tube immediately.
I would practice this technique with Belgian styles like this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/be...dal-dragonmead-final-absolution-clone-137219/

That looks like a straightforward enough recipe to try the technique with...I'm going to give it a shot on my next batch. Thanks!

That looks like a straightforward enough recipe to try the technique with...I'm going to give it a shot on my next batch. Thanks!

That recipe calls for candy sugar.
Candy sugar is easy to make but not necessary.
In fact, the Monks just use regular processed beet sugar in their Triples. (sometimes up to 20% of the fermentables)
Use whatever you like, Good luck.

To raise the ABV, the sugar should go into the wort. It doesn't need to be boiled, but it dissolves much better in hot wort. You can add it to the fermenter, but there's a small risk of contamination. A pound in 5 gallons will boost the ABV about 1%. Most styles, you probably don't want to add more than that.

I've used various sources of sugar added at different times to; raise ABV, add residual sugars and flavors, and dry out a beer. Actually, just about every beer I've made I've done this in one way or another. Here's some the ways I went about it...

Belgian Candi Sugar- added with 10-30 mins left in the boil. I use a # and use the stuff often.

Table sugar/cane or beet sugar- added with 10-30 mins left in boil, I used a # to help dry out an IPA. I also use it as priming sugar.

Brown sugar or molasses- added with 20 mins left in boil. They leave some subtle flavors but don't add as much ABV as other sugar sources.

Pure Grade B Maple Syrup- added second day of active fermentation. Leaves behind subtle flavor but it works well to kick up the ABV. In my experience 8 oz adds .005 to your OG.

Add to the fermenter, but don't add too much, or you may find you kill the yeast due to osmotic pressure.

Limit additional additions to about 1 lb in 5 gallons, until you understand what you are doing to the beer. For table sugar, 1 lb will increase the abv of 5 gallons by about 1.3%, or the equivalent alcohol in 13 cans of 5% bud.

Back