Adding sugar to secondary for fruit wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIT_Warrior

Reaction score
So I'm making a fruit wine for the first time, and I made a bit of a splashy mess getting the strawberries out. Then, when transferring from the bucket to a 5 gallon carboy my autosiphon glugged half wine half air for 30 seconds or so. Most of the recipes for fruit wine that I see recommend transferring at 1.040 or so (I assume this is for the yeast to use up any oxygen you work up transferring and such), but I had been out and I didn't get to this guy until it was at .996.

I still have some headspace to fill up, should I take any corrective action while doing so? Extra sugar, maybe, for the yeast to burn off that excess O2 I just added in? Or should I just campden the yeast and let it sit?

Dont worry about a little O2 when you transfer from the primary bucket to a carboy, its full of CO2 and can protect itself, later racking should be careful to not add air during racking. Also, not sure where you are getting the 1.04 number, but if you let it go down to 1.01-1.02 range the fermentation has calmed down a little and a lot of stuff will have dropped out in the primary, no harm in letting it finish first either down to 1.00. If you have a lot of room in your carboy you can make up a syrup solution at 2 parts sugar and 1 part water, heat it on the stove until its clear as water and let cool. Then you can add this to your wine, SLOWLY, or you will get a wine volcano, dribble in a little and let it react, dribble in a little more and let the bubbles escape. If you dont want to make a higher alcohol wine you can make the sugar syrup to the same starting gravity as the must and add it, that way you just top off but dont make rocket fuel. Everyone makes a splashy mess with strawberries, waiting until it got to 996 let a lot of lees drop out so you might get less in the carboy. WVMJ

Back