adding sugar to boiling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I heard that adding sugar to boiling wort is quite common if you want to boost ABV...

So I did it once, and I posted a topic on this because my beer had very strong and unpleasant alcohol taste.

OG was 1.060 - FG was 1.010

I added 2 pounds of sugar at the end of the boil (maybe for 10 minutes). Is it possible that I got this hot alcohol taste from sugar that I added to wort?

Yes. First boosting the ABV of a beer with sugar throws it out of balance. Second, sugar is easily fermented can boost fermentation temperatures; which can increase the formation of fusel alcohols. Both make the alcohol flavors more prominent.

Some beers are designed to use sugar to dry them out, but just tossing it in can make for a nasty experience.

It is quite common for Belgian style ales to have 10-15% of the total amount of fermentables to be candi sugar. This will increase the alcohol content and lighten the body to make the beer more "drinkable."

What was the size of the batch and recipe? If it was a 1 gallon batch 2 pounds would surely be too much, if it were a 20 gallon batch 2 pounds would not be much at all etc.

What yeast, what was the fermentation temperature?

How long has it been in the bottle/keg?

-ZB

It is quite common for Belgian style ales to have 10-15% of the total amount of fermentables to be candi sugar. This will increase the alcohol content and lighten the body to make the beer more "drinkable."

What was the size of the batch and recipe? If it was a 1 gallon batch 2 pounds would surely be too much, if it were a 20 gallon batch 2 pounds would not be much at all etc.

What yeast, what was the fermentation temperature?

How long has it been in the bottle/keg?

-ZB

batch size 5 gallons
yeast S-04
ferm. temp. 66 F (steady)
two weeks in primary, one week in secondary, three weeks in bottles

I can't answer your question directly, but after listening to the latest BrewStrong podcast on wort aeration, I noted that Jamil was talking about over-aerating wort causing hot alcohol issues in some brews.

Here's John Palmer's take on off flavors: http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Do you remember what your fermentation temps were, and for how long?
EDIT: Ah, sorry, I took to long to type this, evidently EVERYONE was reading your post!!! :D

If you are looking to add 1% ABV a very good way is to use BrewVint Alcohol Boost - it's 55% maltose and 45% glucose, it won't chance taste, color, or aroma of the beer.

You can get it from Austin Home Brew (I do not work for them although I believe I was the one financed their latest 50,000 foot addition - LOL).

Edit - not sure they can ship to Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Back