Adding sugar before bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use regular sugar. I use small sugar cubes that fit into regular bottles (about 1/2 tsp each so I use 2) also much cheaper than the carb drops you find online. Easier than spooning sugar in.

You can batch prime in your bottling bucket as well. About 2/3 cup of sugar boiled in a couple of cups of water and cooled added to bottling bucket before you siphon over.

i'd bulk prime with either corn sugar or DME. never tried regular cane sugar, but i've heard that works well too.
either way, its a lot easier to bulk prime that prime 50+ bottles individually.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
i'd bulk prime with either corn sugar or DME. never tried regular cane sugar, but i've heard that works well too.
either way, its a lot easier to bulk prime that prime 50+ bottles individually.

+1

I can't imagine priming each bottle individually. I use one of the many priming calculators to find out how much I need, boil water with that sugar amount (let it drop to room temp), put half in the bottom of the bottle bucket, start siphoning and when it is halfway done, add the rest of the sugar water.

Table sugar works just fine, just gives a slightly different carbonation. I did it with a Saison recently and had no complaints. Rather than saying 2/3 of a cup or 3/4 of a cup, 1 oz./gallon of beer is more accurate. That is, if you're going the sugar into the bottling bucket route. Then you also have to boil it in some water for a few minutes and rack beer on top.

I use table sugar to prime many beers. Belgians, a few IPA, and some older American Styles from the pre prohibition days, like my 1909 Kentucky Common recipe. Priming with regular table sugar is perfectly fine.

I think in some beers it makes for tinier, tighter bubbles and a nice head.

You can use any fermentable for priming. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

Most priming calculators give the amounts for both table sugar and corn sugar

I've primed with table sugar. I've also primed with brown sugar. Pretty much any sugar can be used for priming. The only noticeable difference, at least I think, would be the time that it takes to carbonate. Corn sugar and dme are favored mostly for this reason, they are the simplest sugars to breakdown. I realize there are flavor contributions to some degree (especially if you decide to use honey or molasses), but when choosing between table sugar and corn sugar, I believe the time factor has the biggest influence.

I've never notices a taste difference between corn sugar and white table sugar in priming. Obviously using other things like brown sugar, mollasses, dark honey, maple syrup will add flavors to it.

I'm just a simple guy, and brewing for me is more about enjoying the journey. I really don't mind priming each bottle, it's my hobby, how I unwind from the week. So if it takes me a few more minutes doing something I enjoy - bonus for me! I've had great results, but by all means, find what works for you.

Best thing about this hobby, there are a lot of ways to get great beer!

Back