Adding Secondary Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mherrbrew

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing an Apple Pie Porter 12A (the recipe in BeerSmith 2.2) but I'm new to all grain (still making the mash tun) and I'm not sure when to add the secondary ingredient of Apple Butter. The way I understand it, I am to add it when a rack it to the secondary. I'm not sure how to do this without stirring up all the trub on the bottom and getting to much O2 in the mix.

Anyone have any ideas? Would it hurt to just add it at the end of the boil and before the primary?

No need for a secondary unless you are aging for a prolonged period of time. Just dump it into the primary fermentor. Try to avoid splashing as best as you can.

Not sure what apple butter is. If it has oils in it, you might want to re-think the recipe. You might just want to add the spices for an apple pie (soak in vodka for a couple of days to sanitize).

Oils/fats can kill the head on beer and mess up fermenters (a pain to clean).

Back