Adding salts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalpysko

Reaction score
Ok when u add ur adjust say 1 gram of magnesium sulfate 10.7 ppm to 1 gallon. How much does that get thinned out with 8 gallons? Now my over all question is when u add salts it say per 1 gallon now do u just keep adding more each gallon that's in the water? I have no clue

If you are asking how much MgSO4.7H2O should be added to 8 gallons given that you want the level associated with 1 gram/gallon the answer is 8 grams. If you are asking what the concentration is if you dilute 1 gallon of water with 10.7 ppm of something in it to 8 gallons the answer is 10.7/8. I don't understand the second question.

What's your water profile look like? Many times additional Mg is unnecessary, and even detrimental.

There is absolutely nothing in the water that benefits brewing. It's basically a blank sheet of water with other minerals in it

image-173814800.jpg

There's nothing in there that would benefits brewing I have to add stuff to make it a better batch I was just wondering if the water to mineral ratio changed when u added more water. I didn't know if because they are salts do they get thinned out when more wearer was added to the batch

You need the Secondary Parameters report for that water. The listing above is not useful to brewing excepting to prove that those listed ions are low.

+1 on Ty's recommendation not to add Mg unless you want its flavor contribution. Mg is welcome in hoppy and bitter styles, but less desirable in maltier styles.

Latest posts

Back