Adding pumpkin puree to boil - do I need to filter before primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinn

Reaction score
I'm making a pumpkin ale. I plan to add about 30 ounces of pumpkin puree to the mash and about 10 ounces to the boil. If I add puree to the boil, do I need to filter before transferring to the fermenter?

Thanks!

Totally your decision.

Might make a difference. But either way it'll probably be just the case that one beer comes out with slightly better this and the other has slightly better that.

I strain all my wort while it goes into the fermenter. But it's a coarse strainer. I'm only trying to keep out things like citrus peel and other big stuff.

Whatever gets in your fermenter that doesn't need to be in the beer will become trub at the bottom in several weeks if not sooner.

Extract or all-grain? Not that it really makes a difference, but I'd expect extract people to not be use to so much trub and stuff that sometimes gets up on the sides of the fermenters headspace from the krausen.

Whatever doesn't settle out during chilling will settle out later during fermentation, I wouldn't worry about it.

Depends on your processes. Preference for the use of actual pumpkin aside, the only thing, functionally, that would cause an issue is the transfer to the fermenter getting clogged. However you do that, if you can accomplish it without the transfer getting clogged, it'll settle in the trub in the fermenter, as others mentioned.

Do you plan to add pumpkin pie spices? Pumpkin adds very little flavor or aroma by itself. A lot of "pumpkin beers" don't have any actual pumpkin.

I've had "professional" brewers tell me pretty much all the pumpkin flavor comes from the spices. Basically nothing from actual pumpkin (actually butternut squash).

That said, I can't legitimately call it "pumpkin" beer if there ain't no pumpkin in there. I used to use several cans but now I just use one can so I can still say "pumpkin" with a straight face.

As for the process...I used to put it in the boil and then let everything settle out in the kettle before transfer. Or you are a kettle dumper than it all goes in the fermenter and settles out anyway.

I started BIAB and I tried it in the mash. Pumpkin will plug your bag BAD. It will take hours to drain the mash bag.

I also now strain my wort from kettle to fermenter (to improve my yeast harvest later). Any pumpkin in the boil can plug that strainer too unless it settles in the kettle first.

I would suggest add the pumpkin near or at the end of the boil. Dump the whole kettle into the fermenter. When it's done, cold crash and rack and toss the trub. that yeast cake is probably not worth harvesting.

AND MOST IMPORTANT.....use spices cause that's where the pumpkin flavor really is.

I started BIAB and I tried it in the mash. Pumpkin will plug your bag BAD. It will take hours to drain the mash bag.

Thanks for the information. I use the BIAB method. I've heard of people stirring in the grains and then stirring in the puree and not having any trouble. When you say it will take hours to drain the mash bag, do you mean to squeeze out the last drops of wort from the bag? Admittedly, I'm fine just not getting those last milliliters if that's the case.

The bag looks like a water balloon. It just drips. Squeezing like crazy was the only way to get the wort out.

The bag looks like a water balloon. It just drips. Squeezing like crazy was the only way to get the wort out.

Interesting. Do you remember how many ounces of puree you added? This has me wondering if I should just add the puree to the boil. I plan to condition with spices, but I wanted to get a little "real" pumpkin in there.

I think 6 cans? Now I just use one can...just to be "legit"...lol

I'm making a pumpkin ale. I plan to add about 30 ounces of pumpkin puree to the mash and about 10 ounces to the boil. If I add puree to the boil, do I need to filter before transferring to the fermenter?

Thanks!
I never did. It settles into the bottom of your fermentor.

Pumpkin has a lot of pectin so boiling it will just extract that and it may haze the beer forever. If you have to add some to feel authentic, a bit in the mash is all you need. Personally I might let a pumpkin watch me brew but that's about it.

I add the pumpkin to the mash and find including rice hulls in the grain bill will eliminate the biab draining problem. The one time I left them out I got the clogged water balloon situation.

Hmm…I read where Troegs uses #3,000 of roasted/processed long neck pumpkin in their mash. I wonder if it is just for the roasted part. Seeds, skin, and all going straight in. I’ve never made a pumpkin beer, thought I’d ask for thoughts. I never understood what came from the actual pumpkin. They never taste like much of anything fresh.

I use pumpkin in the mash and boil. I put it in paint strainer bags. I BIAB, so I don't worry about stuck sparges. I think the pumpkin adds a nice mouthfeel.

Back