Adding pectic enzyme to a fruit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
I'd like to attempt a blackberry lager in the near future. My plan would be to use my California Common recipe, dial down the IBUs, and add blackberries (3lbs for 5 gallons) in the secondary.

If I freeze the fresh black berries, thaw them, and rack the beer on top should I add pectic enzyme to prevent a hazy beer? If yes, would I use the same amount I would as if making a wine? What if I used a blackberry fruit base for wines from my LHBS instead of fresh fruit?

You *shouldn't* have pectin haze unless you heat the fruit above about 150F - which isn't a bad idea since pasteurizing the fruit before adding it to your beer is recommended. Adding the enzyme prophylacticly won't hurt your beer. If pectin is present the enzyme will eat it; if not, it will drop out. I never bothered to measure it. Just put a bunch in and it clears in a day or two.

Back