Adding more wort to kettle after hot break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
During yesterday's brew session I got distracted before I pulled the 2nd runnings. The 1st runnings had already begun to boil and I got a fine hot break. I then had to add the 2nd runnings which stopped the boil.

My questions: how does adding wort to the boil affect hot break? Do later additions of wort after boil has begun go through their own break? Is it ok to add more wort to the boil after the first hot break? Is it ok if the boil is stopped by the addition of more wort to the kettle?

My understanding is that hot break is largely protein coagulation, so I would assume that adding wort would just add to the break material, later in the boil.

Adding later would prolong the boil, as you should measure the boil length of the active boil. You might get more hop extraction, but I can't think of other problems this could cause.

Trub, kettle break, protein coagulation (all the same) is a one way process. That is, once the proteins and protein-polyphenol complexes have coagulated, they will not go back into solution or un-coagulate. As long as you boil that combined volume the "correct" amount of time, you will be fine. The bigger issues may be that if you extend the hot time that the wort sees, you might get more Maillard products, hop extraction, etc. These issues will be more significant than the break issue.

To your specific question about the added wort, coagulation is mostly a function of temperature so as the new wort is added, it will also coagulate as it gets to that high temperature.

On a similar note, it is common for commercial brewers to begin boil of the wort while more wort is being collected into the kettle.

Cheers.

Trub, kettle break, protein coagulation (all the same) is a one way process. That is, once the proteins and protein-polyphenol complexes have coagulated, they will not go back into solution or un-coagulate. As long as you boil that combined volume the "correct" amount of time, you will be fine. The bigger issues may be that if you extend the hot time that the wort sees, you might get more Maillard products, hop extraction, etc. These issues will be more significant than the break issue.

To your specific question about the added wort, coagulation is mostly a function of temperature so as the new wort is added, it will also coagulate as it gets to that high temperature.

On a similar note, it is common for commercial brewers to begin boil of the wort while more wort is being collected into the kettle.

Cheers.

I believe the technical term is FWH or First Wort Hopping.

I keep adding wort throughout the boil. After mash out I will angle my mash tun with a piece of 2x4 on the side opposite the valve and let it keep draining out. It's amazing how much extra wort trickles out over an hour.

I believe the technical term is FWH or First Wort Hopping.

I keep adding wort throughout the boil. After mash out I will angle my mash tun with a piece of 2x4 on the side opposite the valve and let it keep draining out. It's amazing how much extra wort trickles out over an hour.

the original post is about adding wort not hops to the boil. there is such a thing as FWH but not in this thread.

I do this all the time...usually to cut down on the brew day. Depending on the grain bill, my first runnings are showing signs of a hot break or boiling by the time I add the second runnings. I usually try to gather the last bit as well and add that later. I do 90 minute boils at a minimum so there is no impact on my hop schedule.

the original post is about adding wort not hops to the boil. there is such a thing as FWH but not in this thread.

I think what bethebrew was saying is that FWH is a technique that uses the exact process the OP is asking about.

For what it's worth, I drain my first runnings (and add FWH), and start it boiling while I do my second runnings. And same thing if I'm doing a third runnings. Each time it seems like another hot break happens. At any rate, the beer tastes good after a couple weeks!

Back