Adding Maltodextrin post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
Long story short, due to a inaccurate thermometer, I massed at 149 instead of 154, missed my final gravity (under) by 5 points and am considering adding maltodextrin to bring some body back. This is a brown ale recipe that finished at 1.014 but was suppose to finish at 1.019. I've tasted it, and it could use some body to go with the malts. It was an all grain batch.
Interested in hearing about experiences, amounts, techniques, etc.
I'm assuming I'll need to dissolve it first. Four ounces for 5 gallons? I've never used maltdextrin so I'm wondering if it works, does the job, or ends up tasting funky?
Thanks!

If it was me i would secondary for a week with 8the oz. That's just me though.

Are you dissolving the malto dextrine in boiling water, then racking to secondary on top of the maltodextrine water?

I added 4 oz / 5 gals for a blonde ale that finished thin, and added it to the priming sugar at bottling. Mixed the MD and sugar with water and boiled for 5 mins, then racked onto the mixture and bottled directly. No prob with over-carbing or bottle bombs. Didn't leave any unadulterated so don't know how much of a difference it made.

I added 8 ounces to 5 gallons last night and as expected, it raised the gravity 0.004 points. It's tough to tell if I can really taste 4 points thicker, but psychologically it helped:)
I'll let it sit in secondary for a few days, then dry hop, then keg.

The thing to remember here is that maltodextrin is up to 5% fermentable max. So secondary would be a good thing to do. Just so whatever amount that's actually fermentable in that particular batch of maltodextrin gets the chance to ferment out.

I used it in a stout I made for st pattys day, I used 8oz for 10 gallons and it deffinately increased mouth feel. I added it to the boil so I'm no help there.

Back