Adding LME pre-biol to reduce scorching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpd966

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Getting back into the game after a 6 yr lay-off. I was all-grain brewing when I left but now due to time constraints (two toddlers) I'm going to be doing full boil extract brews in a keggle outside on my cooker.

My question is this: Can I add my LME to the pot pre-boil to reduce chances of scorching it? I was thinking if I added my 9.5 lbs. of LME at say 180 degrees, I could have it all mixed in thus avoiding any chances of some syrup sinking to the bottom and burning.

Thanks all, Cheers

I'd remove the keggle from the heat and stir into a whirlpool while a buddy (or toddlers/wife haha) poured the extract in. I do this often and it seems that the LME dissolves before reaching the bottom. Never really had a problem with scorching while using this method.

I gotcha guys. I was planning on doing the removal/stirring method (Sans Toddlers!) and have read a lot about the end of boil method as well. I think I'm worrying about it too much ....reinventing the wheel! I'll just take my time with the removal/stirring method. Thanks.

What really is killing me is that I forgot to pick up DME for my starter. It's gonna be tough getting back to the LHBS before brew day this Sat. Prolly just gonna pitch my Wyeast smack pack and not worry bout it.

I'd remove the keggle from the heat and stir into a whirlpool while a buddy (or toddlers/wife haha) poured the extract in. I do this often and it seems that the LME dissolves before reaching the bottom. Never really had a problem with scorching while using this method.

This is essentially what I do and don't have problems scorching either (full 5 gallon boil, though). The thing about adding it pre-boil is that the other reason people tend to add it later is because it will darken the longer it is "cooked." So by adding it pre-boil, you'd be significantly darkening the color of you wort; might not be an issue for stouts or brown or porters, etc. but significant for pale ales or pilsners.

So by adding it pre-boil, you'd be significantly darkening the color of you wort; might not be an issue for stouts or brown or porters, etc. but significant for pale ales or pilsners.

Copy, I'm doing Yoopers DFH 60 min clone...so I dont want the darkening effect.

Back