Adding Juice to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erock53

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum although I’ve stalked it for some time for questions on making cider and brewing.

So my question is…to anyone who’s added juice tI a secondary of cider, how long did it take to ferment dry? Mine has been bubbling slowly for 4.5 weeks now and I’d like to get it bottled sooner rather than later. Just looking to see if anyone has experience with the timeline on this.

I had one gallon of cider in primary for two weeks. Then I racked to secondary and added a quart of cherry juice. And there it’s been, slowly bubbling for over a month. It’s my first time adding a juice to the secondary. I read somewhere that doing it this route will impart more of the flavor.
Anyways, anyone else have this long of a time?

This is my first post on this forum although I’ve stalked it for some time for questions on making cider and brewing.

So my question is…to anyone who’s added juice tI a secondary of cider, how long did it take to ferment dry? Mine has been bubbling slowly for 4.5 weeks now and I’d like to get it bottled sooner rather than later. Just looking to see if anyone has experience with the timeline on this.

I had one gallon of cider in primary for two weeks. Then I racked to secondary and added a quart of cherry juice. And there it’s been, slowly bubbling for over a month. It’s my first time adding a juice to the secondary. I read somewhere that doing it this route will impart more of the flavor.
Anyways, anyone else have this long of a time?

This is my first time fermenting in the winter months - ciders, meads, wine-cooler thingers, ginger beer. It has all taken at least a month and is still going in primary. Longest it’s ever taken in my experience.

my guess is it’s got to be the temp you’re fermenting at and the yeast you’re using and also winter months take longer.

What’s your yeast?

What’s your average temp?

Do you want a still or sparkling cider - that will affect what you do to bottle it now.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I can see what yo ur e saying. I used Safcider-AC4 which has an ideal temp of 64-75 which it’s been in range for the whole time it’s been in secondary. Temp is 68-70. I am planning on having it bottle carbonated.

My whole thing is that it’s gotta be more so on yeast count since it’s in the secondary and I threw in more fermentables.

But interesting to hear you say that everything for you is taking longer.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I can see what yo ur e saying. I used Safcider-AC4 which has an ideal temp of 64-75 which it’s been in range for the whole time it’s been in secondary. Temp is 68-70. I am planning on having it bottle carbonated.

My whole thing is that it’s gotta be more so on yeast count since it’s in the secondary and I threw in more fermentables.

But interesting to hear you say that everything for you is taking longer.
Yeast count! Never even thought about that. I’m pretty miserly with my yeast and I’ll split a packet across 5 1 gallon fermenters. Dang, good point.

Back