Adding Jalapeño Heat Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekeane

Reaction score
I brewed a Jalapeno Raspberry Wheat it is a beer that I have done several times. Each time I have brewed it I have been pretty close to spot on where I want the heat levels.

I know peppers vary pepper to pepper in the amount of heat they give and this current batch is lacking in the heat department even though I added an extra pepper.

Anyone have experience adding just pepper heat to a beer? My jalapeño flavor and aroma are where I want them and much more would be too much so I just want to add a little burn.

I was thinking about pulling some seeds from a pepper or two and dry hopping in the keg with them.

I also though about making a pepper seed vodka tincture and trying to dose that way.

For my Jalapeno IPA, I mash with one deseeded pepper and add two deseeded peppers at flameout, for the flavor. For the heat, I add just the seeds and flesh of three peppers into the secondar. I cook them at 350 for about 10 min or so to kill bacteria. Nice touch of heat.

I would think a tincture would be he best way to control the heat. Pour a small amount of beer into a glass, add a small amount of tincture until you get the desired heat and then just do the math for how much to add to a full keg.

Back