Adding Invert Sugar to an ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubenumber2

Reaction score
I am brewing an ESB tomorrow and coming up a little shy on where I want to be with my OG , I was wondering what would adding Invert Sugar or table sugar to the boil would do to the flavor. Im doing a 5 gallon batch , with 10lbs of 2 row , 1lb crystal 40 , 1/2lb of biscuit malt and 1lb of invert sugar. I just dont want to mess up the profile of the beer or make it too dry to gain a little more alcohol

I've never used table or invert sugar as an adjunct, but I have used turbinado quite a bit and haven't noticed any adverse effects from it. You may want to limit it to 1/2 lb, though, as it can make your ABV spike and give the beer a dry, hot liquor taste in excess.

I am brewing an ESB tomorrow and coming up a little shy on where I want to be with my OG , I was wondering what would adding Invert Sugar or table sugar to the boil would do to the flavor. Im doing a 5 gallon batch , with 10lbs of 2 row , 1lb crystal 40 , 1/2lb of biscuit malt and 1lb of invert sugar. I just dont want to mess up the profile of the beer or make it too dry to gain a little more alcohol

Why not just use another pound of 2-row or Maris Otter? For an ESB, English Pale Ale is the go-to grain.

EDIT: Ah, maybe no LHBS close enough to get more grain??

We have a homebrew store , small and new , no grinder inhouse and I dont own one either , and I was really wanting to get some beer in my new Better Bottles this weekend

Why not just use another pound of 2-row or Maris Otter? For an ESB, English Pale Ale is the go-to grain.

EDIT: Ah, maybe no LHBS close enough to get more grain??

Latest posts

Back