Adding in Apple Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Scott

Reaction score
I've always had this crazy idea to throw some apple butter in to the carboy with the juice or in secondary fermentation. Two reasons - more sugar and I thought the cinnamon used in the apple butter would make it interesting. Truth be told, the cinnamon flavor might ferment out completely. truth be told, also because I can never finish a jar each year and want to use it for something.

Any issues or is it just more adjunct to ferment out? My understanding is that apple butter is apples, apple juice, sometimes sugar, and cinnamon.

the best apple butters are nothing but cooked down apples. So the only issue I can think of is the extra amount of sludge you will form at the bottle of the ferment jug.

the best apple butters are nothing but cooked down apples. So the only issue I can think of is the extra amount of sludge you will form at the bottle of the ferment jug.

This is good stuff made by an orchard. I added about 1/3 jar so no big deal. I might try a lot more in another batch some time to get a "spiced" cider because it does contain cinnamon.

Thanks

This is good stuff made by an orchard. I added about 1/3 jar so no big deal. I might try a lot more in another batch some time to get a "spiced" cider because it does contain cinnamon.

Thanks
I would guess that they apple butter will help the flavor, I just don't know how much it will take. Also, think about using it in the secondary. It will help keep more of the taste in the final product.

Latest posts

Back