Adding hops right before boil... bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made another batch of beer and I took the wort off of the heat when it came to a boil (after steeping the grains) and stirred in my extract. After stirring in the extract I put the bittering hops in before I brought it back up to a boil; will this have hurt the beer at all? I did boil it for an hour after adding the hops. Thanks.

well, i know nothing about extract...but with all grain you can add hops before the boil without anu issues. its called a first wort hop and it is supposed to increase hop flavor.

RDWHAHB!

You'll be fine and have no ill effects what so ever.

Basic time table for hop additions:
bittering hops (60 min + addition) long boil extracts bitterness from hops
flavor hops (20-30 min addition) shorter boil leaves hop flavor
Aroma hops (7-10 min addition ((or less down to flame out)) ) almost no boil time releases aromatics from hops

Only thing you may have extracted a tiny bit of extra bitterness you will never notice!

More hop schedule info here:
http://www.cohomebrewers.org/node/105

The only thing that I would be worried about is if you add hop pellets to it before boil, then hot break boils up, alot of your hop pellet fragments will stick to the side of the kettle vs being in the boil.

The only thing that I would be worried about is if you add hop pellets to it before boil, then hot break boils up, alot of your hop pellet fragments will stick to the side of the kettle vs being in the boil.

I keep the side of the pot clean and stir lots. I did notice that the pot didn't try to boil over on me like it normally does... so that is a sweet result from this mistake.

After reading so much on here and elsewhere, and in my own short experiences, I must say the general conclusion is that getting your beer to taste good is as easy as sanitizing your equipment. Rest assured, your beer will taste fine.

I made another batch of beer and I took the wort off of the heat when it came to a boil (after steeping the grains) and stirred in my extract. After stirring in the extract I put the bittering hops in before I brought it back up to a boil; will this have hurt the beer at all? I did boil it for an hour after adding the hops. Thanks.

Just pretend you meant to do it, First Wort Hopping. Kind of a dumb name, since there is only one wort ;)

Your beer is hazardous and must be disposed of properly. Please give me your location so I can come pick it up ;)
Just kidding, your beer is fine!!!

Latest posts

Back