Adding hops. How much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warren88

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this. I'm making a lager from the coopers tin, but I want it hoppy. How much hops in grams do I add? Do I just add it or boil, strain and then add?
Warren

There is a long answer and a short answer to this.

To make a long story short... I would think the tin is already hopped for bitterness. So, you can boil your wort, add up to an oz with 10 or 15 min left in the boil and then again at the end of the boil.

Then after fermenting a couple of weeks you can do what is called dry-hopping where you add hops to the fermenting wort for a week, then rack, prime and bottle.

That might at least get you going and while the fermentation is going you have a few weeks to read threads here on HBT.

Good luck!

B

Don't boil the prehopped extract! Boil a volume of water, throw in some hops and let it go for 10 minutes or so. Then add the extract to the still very hot- but sub boiling water.

1st off,never boil a pre-hopped extract,it drives off hop profile,& can darken if boiled long enough. I use plain DME with cooper's cans.
I boil half the 3lb bag of DME so I can do hop additions. Then add the remaining DME at the end. Then stir in the cooper's can off the heat. Cover & steep for 10-15 minutes to sanitize,as it's still plenty hot enough to do that. Then chill down asap in an ice water bath.
If you're not using plain DME with it,then you can also do a hop tea in the same amount of water in the BK that your partial boil would be done in. Add the hops to the boiling water for 15 minutes,then remove. Take it off the heat to add the cooper's can,etc. Then chill & proceed.
I did that in the beginning,& it actually worked pretty good.:mug:

I've done some extract brews using a tin of Original Coopers Lager as a base (as it's one of the lightest ones). Last one I did I added 10g of Simcoe at 15 and 20g of Simcoe at flameout (I've written up my recipe here - Time to ramp up production! » Beer And Garden). So that's just a 15 min boil using wort from some steeped grains and DME. I've also done some with a longer boil and earlier hops additions but I find the bitterness a bit too much- so there is really enough bitterness in the kit itself, hence now I'm doing just a 15 min boil. And as the previous 2 posters mention - don't boil the pre-hooped extract (unless you are experimenting or know what you are doing), because it will most likely throw off the hops profile of the kit (possibly could make it very harsh but I hvent tried it so I dunno).

I found a great tool to help you figure out how much hops to add and formulate a recipe, go to http://beerandgarden.com/home-brewing-resources/ and click on Kit & Extract Beer Designer. It's an Excel spreadsheet application that I found on another brewing forum, it has the Coopers kits as well as other brands in it's ingredients so you can plug in your ingredients and get the stats on you recipe. There is a cool beer profile graph that will show you where your recipe sits compared to various styles so even if you have now idea about IBUs you can still get a feel for it.

Wow guys thanks for the tips. Im a moonshiner turned beer baron now. Usually the other way round lol. So thanks heaps

Hmmm - maybe I have only had experience with bitter-hopped tins. In these there were no flavour or aroma hops, so there was no concern about losing anything. I brought it to the boil to make sure it was all sanitized, then added the flavour and aroma hops, so in all, a relatively short boil - ie no over-darkening. For these kits, this has worked fine for me.

In the boxed kits that DO have the flavour and aroma hops (I have bought Festa Brew and Brew House), do not boil for reasons mentioned above.

By the way, I am not arguing with anyone - only clarifying my statements and giving them context.

B

^ I've made a few canned brews without boiling and I didn't notice any hop profile except for the bitterness. Never heard you shouldn't boil them, though. To be honest I didn't know they sold flavor-hopped tins, I guess I was under the assumption that the hops were too volatile or something.

Back