Adding hops during fermentation to a pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderEh

Reaction score
I have some Saaz lying around from a dutch lager I made, and was wondering if I should use it up in this pilsner given it's almost a year old (kept in the freezer). I know better than to dry hop a pilsner, but would it enhance during primary or secondary fermentation? Maybe give some better aroma's?

Any hops added after fermentation starts are dry hops. I don't know how good year old hops cold be unless they were kept vacuum sealed and frozen- how were yours stored? Was the package open? I can't say I'd recommend it but if the hops are still good and you're intent on dry-hopping with them, then wait until all fermentation has stopped to avoid blowing all your volatile hop aroma out the airlock.

It has been frozen, but was stored in a zip lock as the vacuum packs were opened as I used some. I didn't realize any hopping as soon as fermentation started was dry hopping though. Would there be a different effect after fermentation is complete? I thought the yeast would eat the hops otherwise and our would have less of an effect.

It has been frozen, but was stored in a zip lock as the vacuum packs were opened as I used some.

Old hops are best used for bittering - with plain ziploc bags the aroma can be significantly reduced after just a month.

As for dry hopping during fermentation - the aroma is actively scrubbed out by CO2 production, so it's best to wait until the yeast starts to drop from suspension first.

Typically, brewers will add dry hop additions after fermentation is pretty much complete. It is usually done for about a week before bottling. I'm not 100% sure why, but I believe that most would recommend NOT adding the dry hops as soon as fermentation starts. Wait a week or 2 and then dry hop for about 7 days then bottle.

I'm thinking I won't bother doing anything, as Pilsner's typically are clear and shouldn't be hoppy. I may just save this one for my next lager, and dump it in early.

I agree adding them now won't help. A classic pilsner should be hoppy, but definitely shouldn't be dry-hopped. Save them for next time and let us know how this batch turns out.

Back