Adding honey to 2.5 gallon hefeweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quincy07

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am a new brewer that is planning my second brew. I am wanting to do an american style hefeweizen but was thinking of adding a little honey for flavor but don't want it to be too sweet.

I found this extract recipe by searching google and think it'd be a good starting point.

1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Liquid Extract
0.60 oz Tettnang hops - Boil 60.0 min
8.0 oz Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min]
1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
1 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)Yeast

I think I need to add the honey towards the end of the boil, or at flame out, but I have no idea how much to add. Also, is that the right yeast for an American style hef?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Quincy

I

12 to 16 ounces at flame out is what I use for two gallon batches. If you are looking for honey flavor steep 8 oz of honey malt. Honey will completely ferment out leaving very little flavor. Also honey will dry out your beer, it won't leave any sweetness.
Not sure about the yeast, because I don't brew within guidelines.

Colorowdy said:
12 to 16 ounces at flame out is what I use for two gallon batches. If you are looking for honey flavor steep 8 oz of honey malt. Honey will completely ferment out leaving very little flavor. Also honey will dry out your beer, it won't leave any sweetness.
Not sure about the yeast, because I don't brew within guidelines.

So if honey won't provide any flavor, do you use it to boost the fermentables and therefore up the ABV?

Good to know that honey malt, didn't know there was such a thing, will give me the honey flavor I'm looking for.

Can anyone comment on the yeast? I'm not looking for the banana/clove flavor of a traditional hefeweizen but more of an American hef.

chickypad said:
Then you've got the wrong yeast. Try 1010 or even use a chico strain.

I assume you mean wyeast american wheat 1010? Sorry for the noob questions. Like I said, this is only going to be my second brew.

I assume you mean wyeast american wheat 1010? Sorry for the noob questions. Like I said, this is only going to be my second brew.

Yes, sorry. I don't care for german hefe's much but I almost always have an american wheat on tap with wyeast 1010 being my go-to. I've done my base recipe with white labs 001 and it came out pretty close. That's what I meant by you could also use a chico strain - WL001, wyeast 1056, or US-05.
:mug:

chickypad said:
Yes, sorry. I don't care for german hefe's much but I almost always have an american wheat on tap with wyeast 1010 being my go-to. I've done my base recipe with white labs 001 and it came out pretty close. That's what I meant by you could also use a chico strain - WL001, wyeast 1056, or US-05.
:mug:

I'm more partial to American wheats as well. I actually don't think I'd ever had a German hef until the other day when I bought a locally brewed hef and was taken back by the banana flavor. It was ok, just not what I was expecting.

Latest posts

Back