Adding fruit zests....screwup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
So I brewed a hefe style beer and added some orange zest. One little problem. I forgot to add it at flameout, so I threw it in when the wort was cooling down at around 160*.

So, is that bad? Should I be worried about infection?

Just curious. What's done is done, but I'd like to potentially prepare myself for my first bad batch. :(:D

It could be pretty bad, the peel can harbor bacteria and wild yeast. That said, I'd prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. It could just as easily turn out fine.

+1 on that. You heated the zest up pretty well. Still a chance of infection, but there always is...

That what I figured.

I wasn't worrying too much, just deciding if I should be more expectant of an infection more so than I normally am. :D

Let me tell you....My first (and only, so far) batch was finished cooling down to 70 degrees, and was preparing the lid/airlock when I realized I left something in the bucket before filling with the transfer....I freaked out and stuck my arm in to fetch it from the bottom, but couldn't find it! I pulled my arm out after realizing how stupid I was being and put the lid on and let it go for 3 weeks before opening the lid... its in bottles right now, no infections and regardless of taste, I made beer!

Try to relax and let it do its thing! If its infected, learn from it and make sure you don't do it again!

Latest posts

Back