Adding fruit, when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettPreston

Reaction score
Afternoon.

I plan on doing a new batch next week, to some of it I wish to add sour dried cherries.

Could these be added at the bottling stage? I have some large 3/4 pint bottles which I wish to put some brew in with cherries to see how it comes out.

Will this work, adding fruit at bottling stage, if so, will I need to add less sugar to those bottles due to natural sugar in fruit?

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

from my experience, you'll get less of a fruit flavor if you add it into primary and more intensity if you add to 2ndary. I think it depends on what flavor you are after, but when I put the adjunct in primary, it's too subtle for what I was after...

add to 2ndary and taste test until you can imagine it cold and carbonated with the intensity that you want.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Can anyone confirm what I've shared?

I make my raspberry ale with juice at bottling instead of bottling sugar. The only way to estimate the amount of sugar in a fruit is to go with the generic nutritional info online and realize that not all the sugar will be available to the yeast u less you puree the fruit. Then add the amount of bottling sugar to make up the difference for the carb content you want.

Worst case is that it breaks the bottle so put it in a box when you are waiting for it to carb.

I like adding fruit at bottling because you get more fresh fruit flavor and less fermented fruit flavor.

I've tried fruit in everything from the mash to the secondary, and find that adding some during each phase, or a lot during secondary is the only way to really infuse the flavors properly.

My passionfruit wheat gets fruit pulp once fermentation is about 75% complete, and then again in secondary.

My grapefruit wheat gets it in the mash, boil, and secondary and it still barely picks it up.

I would avoid using fruit peels in the boil though unless you scale back the hops. Fruit peel bitterness can be startling and overpowering.

Back