Adding fruit to secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mateo123

Reaction score
Alrightyyyy. So I have some questions im really hoping to get clarification on. I’ve been looking everywhere and just want to sum it up.
If I am brewing a 5lb batch. Will adding ~4lbs of mangos be enough to get some flavor from the mangos?

also, how long will I have to wait to drink it. Will it be another two weeks after adding the mangos. Or a week after adding the mangos, since it’s already been fermentating A week.
I know it’s releasing more sugars so maybe it’s reactivating the yeast??

Fermentation will be over when all of the fermentable sugars in the ingredients, both malt and fruit, are consumed by the yeast. Yeast don't operate on a schedule. In all practicality, the fruit will probably be done fermenting in a week or less. But you'll need to confirm that with a hydrometer or a refractometer (with correction for alcohol) if you are putting this beer into bottles with priming sugar. You do NOT want additional fermentation from the original malt and fruit happening in the bottles. Fermentation in the bottles should only come from the priming sugar.

Once bottled with priming sugar, your beer will need 2-3 weeks to carbonate. Once carbonated, it should be conditioned, either warm or preferably cold, for another couple of weeks to mellow and achieve good flavor.

Now, you are physically able to drink it whenever you like. But if you are looking for the best experience, follow a timetable similar to the above. Patience is a key skill in brewing!

@McKnuckle nice! Thank you so much.
I’ll actually be legging for the first time. So we shall see how this goes.
How and when would you add in the fruit.
Is freezing and then mashing it a good way?

I'm not a fruit beer person, but I have made my share of fruit wine in the past. For mango, I guess I would peel and section it into chunks, removing the pit of course. Then I would freeze, thaw, and mash. I might be impatient and just mash it, though. :) Do consider how you're getting it into the fermenter, depending what kind you're using.

I would add the fruit near the end of the regular primary, when yeast activity is still visible but slow. If you miss it by a day or so, no big deal.

I’ve never used mango, but have generally found 1lb of fruit per gallon to be a good rule of thumb. This worked for strawberry/rhubarb and raspberries, but not blueberries which seem to have too subtle a flavor. Not sure how mango is. Like described above, I cut up, freeze, thaw, mush, then add a calculated amount of vodka and let sit in fridge for a couple days. Add into primary as fermentation has slowed. But it’s extremely important to put some sort of filter when transferring to keg or bottling bucket as fruit bits will clog poppets, spigots, etc. and be a big pita.

Based on personal experiences with fruit, I would increase your mango addition by 1lb. Previous brews I have done, had only a hint of flavor with 4lbs...(Cherry & Blueberry brews). Freeze & Thaw, light pulses in a blender before adding to the secondary.
Good luck & Cheers!

How many times would you freeze and thaw.
And by thaw, do you want it completely thawed out. Should I then mash it up to break cell walls? @JPDosey

And if I only have one fermentation bucket, can I just add them in there....or should I try getting another bucket for secondary fermentation?
also, i heard adding a spoonful of vanilla helps the flavor...anyone heard of that? if so, when do you add that?

And if I only have one fermentation bucket, can I just add them in there....or should I try getting another bucket for secondary fermentation?
also, i heard adding a spoonful of vanilla helps the flavor...anyone heard of that? if so, when do you add that?

You can add fruit as long as you have room. I add fruit at the tail end of fermentation. As for vanilla , it depends on your taste. I use vanilla often.

When i use fruit in a bucket I clean and prep it ,put in a mesh bag(not to fine), dip it in sanitizer then bag and freeze. When it's time I completely thaw and put the mesh bag in the bucket along with any juice in the bag. Racking is a breeze and it is kinda sanitized.

So, just freeze & thaw once...the freezing breaks cell walls down. I make my own "bag" with cheese cloth. I line a bowl with a big square of cloth, I add my fruit & then gather the ends of the cheese cloth & secure. Add this to your secondary & rack the beer onto this. Leave for a week or however long you feel. Very simple. Sorry it took me a bit to respond & good luck with your brew! @Mateo123

Back