Adding fruit puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
I am getting ready for my third batch/brew. I am about to make my Patriot Ale. This is a blueberry Red Wheat (red, wit and blue).

My question is when do I add the blueberry purée? I have heard that it should be added to the secondary but also have been told to add it during the last 3 minutes of the boil right after the aroma hops.

It is blueberry purée not juice or fruit. Thoughts/ideas???

Thanks

I am a complete newbie so take my response with a grain of salt. I have been told that with the boil adding fruit depends on how you want the fruit to contribute to the beer.

Earlier in the boil = adds to taste
Later in the boil = adds to aroma

Haven't used puree, but I've used fruit. I would not add it to the boil because I think you'll lose too much of the flavor and aroma over the course of fermentation and conditioning. From what I've heard and read there seems to be two schools of thought on using puree. The first is add it to the primary around day 14, let it ferment out completely, then rack to secondary for clearing. The second method is to do your usual primary fermentation, rack beer on top of puree in the secondary, let it completely ferment, and then rack to tertiary for clearing. Fruit makes a hazy, particle filled mess of beer so I find it helpful to drop the temp as low as possible while it's clearing.

I agree with RchanceN. If you put it in the boil or even in the primary before the end of fermentation your just adding more food for the yeast and they are going to turn that into more alcohol but you lose the flavor I made an apricot wheat and added the puree to the secondary and racked on top of it and it has a good apricot flavor.

Adding it to the boil you will set the pectins and have a haze that you will never clear. You will also drive off aroma. ...... Do not add to the boil.

After the main fermentation is complete, add to either the primary, or rack and add to secondary. No difference in the two. That would be adding it somewhere between 7 and 14 days after pitching yeast. It will wake the yeast up again.

With fruit, I always recommend pasturizing, but if this is coming straight from a can, make sure the opener and top is clean/sanitized and add it straight without heating. Heating increases the risk of getting unclearable haze.

I added my Blackberry Puree to the secondary, and it's fermenting along again. I figure I'll try and cold crash it prior to bottling. Made my house smell like yummy Blackberries :)

i split it. i'll add a small amount at the last few minutes of the boil, then half into the primary and half into the secondary. I also usually add about half a pound of dehydrated fruit (whatever im using) to the keg in a muslin bag

Dehydrated? That is interesting, something I might try. Do you get enough flavor out of that?

Latest posts

Back