Adding fruit purée to lactose IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little_Lebowski

Reaction score
My first attempt at a "milkshake" IPA. Basically the same NEIPA recipe I've used for months now but with a pound of Lactose added to the boil and the addition of apricot purée in the fermenter... I have two 3.1 lb cans. I have a couple questions for anyone that has some experience with these.

1. When are you guys adding the fruit in the fermentation process?

2. I've stopped transferring to secondary fermenters long ago to preserve hop flavor and aroma and cut back on unnecessary o2 pickup. For this reason, I'd prefer to add the purée into my primary vessel. Any input on this?

3. Will standard cold crashing for heavy dry hopped IPAs also help to settle the muck from the purée? I don't like using fining agents or gelatin, especially for IPAs in this wheelhouse.

Thanks!

Ive brewed the Omnipollo one a few times

http://www.sirencraftbrew.com/how-to-brew-ten-dollar-shake/

Omnipollo.jpg

I have only brewed one milkshake IPA, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

1) I added my fruit purée on day 7 from brew day

2) I added my purée right to the primary for my IPA, added fruit to a secondary (split batch) for a fairly hoppy saison. Both turned out fine.

3) I didn't cold crash. I found the fruit to be pretty heavy and settle out pretty well on its own.

Another quick thought, I used guava purée in my IPA, but I used apricot purée in a saison. The apricot definitely added some tartness to the final beer. I split the batch and fermented half on the apricots to compare the two. That may be exactly what you're looking for, but thought I'd mention it in case I could help save you from an unwanted surprise.

My first attempt at a "milkshake" IPA. Basically the same NEIPA recipe I've used for months now but with a pound of Lactose added to the boil and the addition of apricot purée in the fermenter... I have two 3.1 lb cans. I have a couple questions for anyone that has some experience with these.

2. I've stopped transferring to secondary fermenters long ago to preserve hop flavor and aroma and cut back on unnecessary o2 pickup. For this reason, I'd prefer to add the purée into my primary vessel. Any input on this?

3. Will standard cold crashing for heavy dry hopped IPAs also help to settle the muck from the purée? I don't like using fining agents or gelatin, especially for IPAs in this wheelhouse.

Thanks!

I brewed a mango milkshake IPA not too long ago and it was one of my favorite homebrews ever. Not too "milkshakey", just a really fruity and juicy NEIPA.

I added mango about 1 week into fermentation.

I added mango to my primary, and I see no reason not too. Transferring to secondary is a huge risk with oxygen exposure.

I did not cold crash but I wish I had. I typically set my carboy on my counter the night before kegging to let things settle out. The mango settled pretty well but I still got 1 to 1.5 gal less than normal into the keg.

No offense

The idea of a milkshake IPA is gross

Sorry, had to say it

Thanks for the seriously insightful, original and useful contribution.

You posted a strange idea, you should not be surprised or offended if all the responses are not positive. The only reason I looked at this thread was because my initial thought was 'Yuk', but was interested in trying to understand what you were trying to make.

Advice: Don't brew it, this sounds gross
Thoughts: Don't brew it , this sounds gross

Huh, turns out people's thoughts and opinions are the same, go figure

My reasoning for brewing a milkshake IPA was "this sounds gross, but people really seem to love the ones being brewed by Tired Hands sooo... maybe there's something to it".

I'm really glad I gave it a shot because it ended up being one of my most delicious IPA's. Like a NEIPA that's more tropical fruit forward, creamier with subtle vanilla. But obviously its not for everyone and no one is forcing you to brew it.

t3rVynZ.jpg

My reasoning for brewing a milkshake IPA was "this sounds gross, but people really seem to love the ones being brewed by Tired Hands sooo... maybe there's something to it".

I'm really glad I gave it a shot because it ended up being one of my most delicious IPA's. Like a NEIPA that's more tropical fruit forward, creamier with subtle vanilla. But obviously its not for everyone and no one is forcing you to brew it.

t3rVynZ.jpg

For sure, this looks great.

Do have the recipe..?....I'll give it a go

Just added 5lb Mango to mine right into the fermenter along with a 4oz dry hop. Its only day 3, but gravity was less than 10 points away from final and I want the yeast active to use up all the O2 exposed during the hop and fruit addition to avoid stalling and infection risk.

So far tastes amazing, really smooth soft mouthfeel mind = blow

For sure, this looks great.

Do have the recipe..?....I'll give it a go

This was my attempt with some input from Henok of Omnipollo. Afterwards I realized they puree the apples and use them in the boil but I would skip them all together next time.

6 gal
O.G 1.067

78% 2 row
10% Flaked oats
7% Lactose (flameout)
5% Wheat
3 diced apples (in the mash)

Mashed 152

0.75 oz Columbus (60 min)
2 oz Citra (whirlpool)
2 oz Mosaic (whirlpool)
2 oz Citra dry hop (primary)
2 oz Mosaic dry hop (primary)
2 oz Citra dry hop (2 days)
2 oz Mosaic dry hop 2 days)

1 vanilla bean (7 days)
5 lb frozen mango (7 days)

Conan yeast

This was my attempt with some input from Henok of Omnipollo. Afterwards I realized they puree the apples and use them in the boil but I would skip them all together next time.

6 gal
O.G 1.067

78% 2 row
10% Flaked oats
7% Lactose (flameout)
5% Wheat
3 diced apples (in the mash)

Mashed 152

0.75 oz Columbus (60 min)
2 oz Citra (whirlpool)
2 oz Mosaic (whirlpool)
2 oz Citra dry hop (primary)
2 oz Mosaic dry hop (primary)
2 oz Citra dry hop (2 days)
2 oz Mosaic dry hop 2 days)

1 vanilla bean (7 days)
5 lb frozen mango (7 days)

Conan yeast

Cool, thanks

I love your hop schedule and the "dry hop" additions

I'm kinda with Little_Lebowski here (not that I thought that the "censored swearing" was necessary), and I even agree that the idea of a fruit & lactose IPA sounds horrible. I like to think that we're a better online community than most here at HBT. A couple of you could probably tell early on in the thread that you struck a nerve and it feels like you just kept digging at it. You could have just said "hey we're kidding around, we weren't trying to insult anyone here", and followed that with an explanation of why you might have been curious about this thread in the first place.

That said, LL, this is an open internet forum, and occasionally you need to be able to ignore some silly or negative comments, especially on a site where people might post things they wouldn't normally but do after having a few homebrews. In the context of this *one* thread (you implied there might be others, but I don't know what those might be), when Gravity came up with his first comment, it sounded like something I might have posted (after getting buzzed) as a way to sub to a thread I found kind of interesting and might bring up some useful information later (I brew sweet stouts and am curious about adding lactose to other beer). Instead of posting something that sounds a bit sarcastic, maybe you could have just said something like "Maybe it isn't for everyone, but I want to try this. Can we please keep comments constructive?".

And just to be clear, I wouldn't mind having a beer with persons from either side of this dispute. Not at my house, though, because ya'll internet folks that I don't know, so it would be in a public location. Point is, I doubt anyone came here with the intention of starting a feud.

I get that but you guys are acting like this "novel idea" I through out there has never been seen of or heard of before! It'd be like asking about dry hopping sours and everyone freaking out how disgusting that sounds. In general terms it's a newer concept but by no way is it brand new.

For all you milkshake haters, don't actually knock it till you've tried it.
Ive done 2 milkshake brews with lactose and both come out really good. Even the missus who isn't a craft drinker enjoyed them.
Perfect fruity summer drink.
Good luck with the brew LL

Apparently you unearthed a divide among the homebrewing community. I'll withhold judgement as I recently had a tasty carrot/cucumber gose that I wanted to hate. Also you have a great user name, so I'm on your side. Actual advice: I've had good results adding fruit purées after or during cold crashing.

Rdwhahb needs to be said.

Many "bad ideas" turn out to be fun even if never repeated.

Many "good ideas" turn out to be unsatisfying and repeated often

I came late to this thread (the topic didn't catch my eye, and no one reported it).

Namecalling is NEVER OK, even if you use ***** and some of the other posts are far over the line too.

Some will be deleted, but the namecalling will not be tolerated. Ever. EVER.

If someone comes in your thread, and opines on the value of your idea and you take offense, simply hit that little "report this post" and let the mod team know.

By resorting to namecalling and things, members will be uninvited to continue participating in our forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back