Adding Frost to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntangus

Reaction score
OK, i am in the midst of making a Coors Light clone. And I really want to get that frost-brewed TASTE.

I wanna get this puppy right - I need a beer that is both light AND refreshing.

So, I thought about adding the frost to the boil - maybe at flameout so it could help chill the wort.

But then I thought that may just give it frost-brewed SMELL. Maybe an earlier addition would give it more frost-brewed deliciousness. So, I'm thinking maybe a full 60-minute boil. I want to make sure the frost is fully isomerized.

But seriously, i'm considering adding the frost to secondary. Nothing adds more frostiness to a beer than a good "dry-frosting".

So i pose a question to you all - should i boil the frost prior to adding it to secondary to avoid infection? Would it hold up or somehow change consistency subjecting it to such high temperatures?

Also, how much frost should I add?

And I heard that some HBS sell blank ink-jet labels that turn blue when cold. I'm going to need a LOT of those. Anyone know where to get those?

:p

Well assuming that you started with pure rocky mountain spring water, the frost would already be there being left over from when it fell off my window as I scraped it last year. It will also be well filtered as it seeped through the soil, rocks, cow dung, beaver pi$$ and all manner of other filtering agents known only to the local terroir of the rockies.

Coors lite is exactly like a lambic, you can only get it from the middle rockies. Anything else would be . . . . . bud light, golden wheat.

Keep trying my friend!

When you buy the paper that turns blue make sure you don't get ripped off. Most paper that turns blue does it when it gets any kind of cold, you need to make sure you get the authentic version that only turns blue when it is as cold as the Rockies.

Wow! I hope he didn't have to swim out to that iceberg to get that frost!

A lot more than his label would be turning blue from that trek!

I was just going to harvest some of the frost that flies off that mysterious silver train that goes through my town sometimes. It's so strange, after it passes, all the business women are left wearing bikinis. Their pant suits are just gone.

Back