Adding Flaked Rye to a NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mls1970

Reaction score
Has anyone tried adding Flaked Rye along with flaked oats to a New England stlye IPA? Thinking it might be interesting to add a touch of spicyness. Cheers!

It wasn't especially hazy or juicy but I did brew a solid IPA awhile back that had 9% Flaked Rye and 6% rye malt. The beer was hopped with Chinook, Ekuanot, and HBC 438 in the boil, and dry-hopped twice with the latter two. I felt the herbal almost peppery aroma from 438 worked well with rye.

Has anyone tried adding Flaked Rye along with flaked oats to a New England stlye IPA? Thinking it might be interesting to add a touch of spicyness. Cheers!
It wasn't especially hazy or juicy but I did brew a solid IPA awhile back that had 9% Flaked Rye and 6% rye malt. The beer was hopped with Chinook, Ekuanot, and HBC 438 in the boil, and dry-hopped twice with the latter two. I felt the herbal almost peppery aroma from 438 worked well with rye.

You guys have any opinion on Legacy hops in a Rye NEIPA? I got a bunch given to me, and when I read spicy, I thought of brewing with rye.

If by legacy hops you mean some of the other non standard NEIPA hop types then yes. Although minus the Rye I have made an excellent NEIPA using Columbus, Simcoe, Chinook, Amarillo and Citra hops. All hops were used in boil and in dry hopping. Cheers!

You guys have any opinion on Legacy hops in a Rye NEIPA? I got a bunch given to me, and when I read spicy, I thought of brewing with rye.

I haven't used those either, but do typically enjoy hops with a quasi-noble quality. Not sure how it would be in a NEIPA (I don't brew them often) but it could work well with rye and perhaps some hops on the fruitier side of things.

I haven't used those either, but do typically enjoy hops with a quasi-noble quality. Not sure how it would be in a NEIPA (I don't brew them often) but it could work well with rye and perhaps some hops on the fruitier side of things.
I'm not sure either, but it's a crazy home brew club competition. Somebody gave our club about 30 pounds of Legacy hops. The only rule is we have to use an entire pound of hops per 5 gallon batch. There aren't too many options for using that much hops in one beer, but with all the late additions in a NEIPA, and the fact that it's the style I brew most often, I figured what the heck. It's got to be ready by the end of January, so not enough time for a big stout or barleywine.

Could be genius, could be a disaster. We'll see in about a month...

Latest posts

Back