Adding FAJC after keg is carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
SO, I fermented 5 gallons of my tried-and-true cider and split it into two separate 2.5 gallon torpedo kegs, flavoring each batch according to a separate recipe. Oddly enough, even though I followed proven recipes, both seemed more tart than usual. I'm going to give them a couple more days (a full week at least) to carb up, then taste test to see how they are. If they're still too tart, I'd like to add some FAJC to each keg.

Am I setting myself up for a "grade school science fair volcano" experience? I worry that adding FAJC directly to carbed cider will cause the cider to foam out of control.

Anyone have experience with this plan?

For the sake of completion, for when/if this thread is dusted off by some other noobie brewer: I added one can of FAJC to each 2.5 gallon keg, completely without issue. The first time I was as quick as I could be about it; the second time, I even lingered for a couple of seconds to see if any significant carbonation occurred. It looks like the sugars in FAJC are adequately dissolved that there aren't many heterogenous nucleation sites present. SO, no spewing foam!

Side note: one full can was way too much into each batch, now they're totally too sweet. I should have just done 1/2 can, for one full can for the full five gallons. Oh well, at least my wife prefers her cider sweeter than soda!

Not sure what the Brix rating is for FAJC, but when I back sweeten cider with brown sugar and spices, I calculate each pound of brown sugar will bring my cider up by .010 in a 5G keg. I finished a cider last fall that came out at 1.000, added .75 lbs brown sugar, and the cider came to a nice 1.008 finished FG.

If you could cross-reference FAJC and brown sugar, this could provide a reasonably accurate target to back sweeten.

Not sure what the Brix rating is for FAJC, but when I back sweeten cider with brown sugar and spices, I calculate each pound of brown sugar will bring my cider up by .010 in a 5G keg. I finished a cider last fall that came out at 1.000, added .75 lbs brown sugar, and the cider came to a nice 1.008 finished FG.

If you could cross-reference FAJC and brown sugar, this could provide a reasonably accurate target to back sweeten.

I did the calculation based on the grams of carbohydrate listed in the NIPS section on the can, then solved for the total in the whole can. I don't recall the number exactly but I thought it was about 0.006 for the size batch I was adjusting so I really wasn't expecting the kick I got. No biggie, they're really still totally drinkable. Now that I know that I don't have to fear the foam (homebrewing pun intended) if/when this happens again I'll make smaller additions and taste-test in between.

For the sake of completion, for when/if this thread is dusted off by some other noobie brewer: I added one can of FAJC to each 2.5 gallon keg, completely without issue. The first time I was as quick as I could be about it; the second time, I even lingered for a couple of seconds to see if any significant carbonation occurred. It looks like the sugars in FAJC are adequately dissolved that there aren't many heterogenous nucleation sites present. SO, no spewing foam!

Side note: one full can was way too much into each batch, now they're totally too sweet. I should have just done 1/2 can, for one full can for the full five gallons. Oh well, at least my wife prefers her cider sweeter than soda!
Did you shake them up really well? If not, I bet all the sugary FAJC just ask to the bottom and got picked up by the dip tube right away.

Did you shake them up really well? If not, I bet all the sugary FAJC just ask to the bottom and got picked up by the dip tube right away.

Yep, I did. I did the usual "five flushes" with the CO2 then disconnected them again and gave them some easy tipping over and back several times. Then, I put them back on the gas for a week or so to carb up, then tasted.

Back