Adding erythritol for bottling carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessevictory

Reaction score
Hey guys pretty new to mead making but quick question on erithritol . If I am going to bottle carbonate and add erithritol …. Do I add it to my ferment bucket first or add it direct to the bottles ? If I add it to the ferment bucket , do I immediately bottle it within minutes , Or let it sit in the fermenter for a while ?

Thank you in advance !

Right. The erythritol won't ferment, therefore it won't carbonate your beverage.

It could be used to sweeten to taste, then an appropriate amount of fermentable sugar could be used to prime the carbonation process. The erythritol will remain as a sweetener and the fermented priming sugar will be turned into CO2.

To answer your actual question...

You can add priming sugar to each bottle or to the bulk volume. Either way. If in bulk, you want to be sure it gets mixed thoroughly so each bottle gets the correct amount. Mix gently to reduce oxygenation and kicking up lees.

Most beer brewers rack off the primary fermenter into a bottling bucket leaving the lees behind. Priming sugar is added to the bulk volume in the bottling bucket. Then the bottles are filled and capped immediately.

I use erythritol for sweetening when I bottle condition. Both the erythritol and the carbing sugar go right in the bottle, and then it is filled with the dry mead.

To answer your actual question...

You can add priming sugar to each bottle or to the bulk volume. Either way. If in bulk, you want to be sure it gets mixed thoroughly so each bottle gets the correct amount. Mix gently to reduce oxygenation and kicking up lees.

Most beer brewers rack off the primary fermenter into a bottling bucket leaving the lees behind. Priming sugar is added to the bulk volume in the bottling bucket. Then the bottles are filled and capped immediately.
Yes I would be adding it as a priming sugar . The guy who runs man made mead on you tube was instructing to use priming sugar erithritol to get your bottle carbonation . Is that not accurate ?

Not accurate. A priming sugar must be fermentable for it to be converted into CO2 and alcohol.

Erythritol is used to sweeten because it can't be fermented. It stays sweet, no CO2.

Yes I would be adding it as a priming sugar . The guy who runs man made mead on you tube was instructing to use priming sugar erithritol to get your bottle carbonation . Is that not accurate ?
Definitely wrong. For priming you will need a fermentable sugar.

While I tend to think that 99% of folk who perform on Youtube know less than zilch about what they purport to instruct , you may want to check the video you watched. Performers can get their facts very wrong but it is hard even for me to imagine that no one would have corrected that "entertainer" and that they would not have either withdrawn or corrected such an egregious error. You need to use a fermentable sugar to carbonate and if you are carbonating but still want the wine to be sweet and not brut dry, ONE possible option is to use a non fermentable sugar to sweeten the wine - assuming you are ok with most non fermentable sugars producing metalic and other off flavors.Probably a better method would be to force carboante (pump CO2 into the wine rather than have the wine produce the CO2. That means you can use fermentable sugars to sweeten the wine AFTER you have removed or killed the yeast in a process known as stabilization.

I know how much honey is needed to raise a gallon of mead a specific amount of SG.

How much Erythritol is used to raise 1 gallon xx points of gravity?

I suspect it is similar to sugar in how it raises the gravity, but it is only a guess.

I add it by taste, rather than gravity, but it would be nice to know. I'm hoping someone will pipe up with the answer.

I suspect it is similar to sugar in how it raises the gravity, but it is only a guess.

I add it by taste, rather than gravity, but it would be nice to know. I'm hoping someone will pipe up with the answer.

a quick google says 1g in 1ml of water will raise the density by this much, i think? so 1kg in 1 liter of volume water would have a gravity of 1.034, once again i think?
SweetenerSpecific GravitySweetness Perception
Erythritol1.0340.5-0.7

Remember, some of these sweeteners are many times more perceptibly sweet (by Weight) than sugar. Adding by taste definitely seems more controlled than blindly adding by SG.

Agree to go by taste.
With honey, I'll use xx amount to get to yy SG which will be in the ballpark that I want and then I can adjust slowly. I'm certainly looking to similar with something like Erythritol.

With some of the latest studies relating to Erythritol and the issues that it can cause in the body, it's probably a good idea to avoid using this sweetener. I guess I'll stick with honey and forced carbonation.

With some of the latest studies relating to Erythritol and the issues that it can cause in the body, it's probably a good idea to avoid using this sweetener. I guess I'll stick with honey and forced carbonation.
What is it said to do?

I'm not saying it's good for you, but I found the study and they state very clearly more research is needed to confirm the results they got. Reproducibility in science is a huge issue, most research can't be reproduced, and a bunch nobody even tries.

Latest posts

Back