Adding currants to primary instead of raisin. Do you need to use campden first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currants give a more complex flavor than raisins IMO, but believe they have less sugar. Depends on what your goal is I guess.

I believe most dried currants are actually a raisin made from Zante grapes. They are not related to black, red, or white currants.

I believe most dried currants are actually a raisin made from Zante grapes. They are not related to black, red, or white currants.

Bingo.

They are very sweet, much more so than raisins (just eat one). I just dumped about 4 pounds of them into some sour beer. I've used them before the same way, just dumped them in.

How about boiling 1/2 gallon of water adding the currants for 5 minutes to kill anything living on them? Add the currant tea or would this affect the flavor and nutrient value. Then you should be able to pitch right away instead of using campden and waiting 24 hrs.

Bingo.

They are very sweet, much more so than raisins (just eat one). I just dumped about 4 pounds of them into some sour beer. I've used them before the same way, just dumped them in.

Off topic, but what do currents give to a sour beer? Do you chop them up first?

Off topic, but what do currents give to a sour beer? Do you chop them up first?

Great fruity cherry flavor.

Vinny Cilurzo sent me an email describing his Consecration process, and at one point they dump a LOT of currants in there. Currants are dried grapes, essentially raisins.

Like all fruit in beer, no need to chop anything. The yeast and alcohol will take care of that.

Great fruity cherry flavor.

Vinny Cilurzo sent me an email describing his Consecration process, and at one point they dump a LOT of currants in there. Currants are dried grapes, essentially raisins.
Like all fruit in beer, no need to chop anything. The yeast and alcohol will take care of that.

The Russian River website states: "Dark Ale aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels from local wineries. It is aged for 4 to 8 months with black currants, brettanomyces, lactobacillus, and pediococcus added to each barrel."

Most dried currants are a type of raisin made from Zante grapes. RR specifically mentions using black currants, which are not grapes. Completely different animal and I don't think they taste anything like a cherry. If you've ever had a lambic or liqueur called cassis, that's black currant. Black currants have great flavor, but are very tart.

Whether it's in beer, cider, mead, or wine, many, if not most, fruits benefit from being chopped. I wouldn't throw peaches, let alone watermelons, in whole.

The Russian River website states: "Dark Ale aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels from local wineries. It is aged for 4 to 8 months with black currants, brettanomyces, lactobacillus, and pediococcus added to each barrel."

Most dried currants are a type of raisin made from Zante grapes. RR specifically mentions using black currants, which are not grapes. Completely different animal and I don't think they taste anything like a cherry. If you've ever had a lambic or liqueur called cassis, that's black currant. Black currants have great flavor, but are very tart.

Whether it's in beer, cider, mead, or wine, many, if not most, fruits benefit from being chopped. I wouldn't throw peaches, let alone watermelons, in whole.

Now that is frigging amazing. I see exactly what you are saying, and I just can't believe it. It might be the gap in flavor that I've been trying to close. Thank you so much for that.

You know, when I was adding them to my Oud Bruins yesterday, I kept thinking how using grape currants makes sense since Vinnie comes from a wine family - of course he uses grapes, it's his heritage. I was so wrong. Grrr. I just went and looked at the notes he sent me and it just says "dried currants".

i have added fresh (crushed) red currants to a somewhat flabby tasting cider with hopes of brightening it up, and it was not a good idea. they are extremely tart and the flavors don't match up well. i imagine black currants would be more palatable in a cider, they are less tart and will contribute a bit of richness and tannin, and dried ones even more so, as they will be even less tart and sweeter.

Just pitched a gallon batch with 3/4 cup dried currants steeped for 20 minutes in 1 cup of water 195-204 degrees. Added the currant tea fruit and all. Recommend energizer and nutrient. see how it goes.

Back