Adding cold water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
Should I be adding cold water to make up the difference due to whole leaf hop absorption after transferring cooled wort into carboy?

I use the carboy as my primary and use no secondary. TIA

OOps. I think I put this in the wrong section...and I dont know how to delete this thread. Sorry.

Should I be adding cold water to make up the difference due to whole leaf hop absorption after transferring cooled wort into carboy?

I use the carboy as my primary and use no secondary. TIA

You can add water if you want to.

Did you hit your OG? Adding water will lower your OG. If your OG is high, I would consider adding water.

Also, I don't always care if I come up a little short if I hit my OG (well as long as it is much less than a half gallon short).

Dont do it. You run the risk of infection, although it very slight. You are also diluting your gravity. I would just keep with what you have and take notes on what you end up with. Then, just adjust your boil amount to account for the loss that you have now.

You could add the water, but I would not. Thats an extract and partial boil thing.

Dont do it. You run the risk of infection, although it very slight. You are also diluting your gravity. I would just keep with what you have and take notes on what you end up with. Then, just adjust your boil amount to account for the loss that you have now.

You could add the water, but I would not. Thats an extract and partial boil thing.

Out of curiosity why is that an extract and partial boil thing? When I brew extract batches I top off with tap water and I've never had an infection. Obviously it will affect gravity, but I have had AG brews that I have accidentally boiled down too much and I diluted them. Before I acquired my big kettle I used to do small AG batches with intentionally high OGs that I would dilute down. Take precautions with anything you add after the boil. If you want to be cautious you could boil and cool the water you plan to add, whatever the source. Just saying that because you don't do it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea. Just use good sanitation practices and common sense.

Thanks, guys. I just put the cooled wort into my primary and I was short but not as much as I had anticipated. I did add some water to top up.

I just started using whole leaf hops and didn't realize the amount of absorption from those little suckers...literally. :)

Appreciate all of your feedback.

Some people worry about infection with their water, I don't (mine is awesome), but I hear it a lot. When I used to extract, I would only boil 2.5 gallons then top up to help drop the temp and get the right amount. Its not something I like to do with full boils, its just me. When you are boiling a full batch you are sterilizing the entire batch and creating a full flavor which is going to change when you dilute it. Its just not a good practice if you have the right equipment. If you get 4 gallons on this batch, increase your boil size or boil time to land at 5 gallons. Its not written in stone, obviously, but its not something I would do.

Every brewer has their own practice, I will never dilute my all-grain beers - others might. I take good notes and adjust.

Fair enough. It just sounded like you were conveying personal preference as brewing law...or maybe I've been reading too much of the Brewing Myths That Need To Die thread! Cheers!

Congrats on another batch in the fermenter Gold_Robber! I've just started using whole hops as well and have had to make some adjustments to my recipes and system. Did justify buying a beautiful hop spider from Stainless Brewing!

Nicely done, TANSTAAFB, regarding the hop spider.

I'm aware that many top-up a batch if they over-boiled, but I was unsure b/c I know that them pesky hops did all of the dirty work.

It's all one gigantic experiment, isn't it? :)

Gold_Robber said:
Thanks, guys. I just put the cooled wort into my primary and I was short but not as much as I had anticipated. I did add some water to top up.

Good for you! I always admire a brewer who does the research, gets all the facts and opinions, and then does what works for him without letting all the naysayers get to him.

Latest posts

Back