Adding coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtwdonald

Reaction score
I'm brewing a stout from a kit, and would like to add coffee to it. How and when is the best time to do this?

I cold brew my coffee and then add it to the bottlling bucket. I use 8 oz for a 2 gallon brew. You can use that as a base line but I advise adding a little less ant tasting it then add more if you like more flavor. Have done this many times.

Yep, absolutely do cold brew. This keep the tannins, bitterness, etc... out. Add after primary fermentation or right before bottling/kegging for the most flavor.

I've done a couple of batches by just adding beans to the fermenter a few days before packaging. This is the method advocated by Modern Times, a combined brewery and roastery. I recommend leaving the beans whole. When I crushed them, it clogged my leg poppet.

I recommend adding whole beans to the fermenter a week before bottling. I use 2 ozs for 5 gallons and works out well for me (different tastes!!!!). I think you will get plenty of flavor from 2 ozs.

Whole vs ground makes no difference, coffee gives up it's favor readily; we only use ground coffee because we want the favor extracted quickly (minutes).

I tend to like pouring hot brewed chemex of home roast into my dry hopped stout. tannins and acid arent so much an issue as long as you brew with water at the proper temperature. for me, a medium roast fruity bean shows its flavor best when brewed hot and pairs well with a tropical dry hop. if you're going for a dark chocolately stout, then a cold brew of a dark roasted earthy bean will work better with that i agree.
as was noted, modern times brewing swears by tossing freshly roasted whole bean coffee into the fermenter. the co2 outgassing from the beans wont harm the beer.

I cold brew my coffee and then add it to the bottlling bucket. I use 8 oz for a 2 gallon brew. You can use that as a base line but I advise adding a little less ant tasting it then add more if you like more flavor. Have done this many times.

So you use 8oz of coffee beans and make the cold brew? I am going the cold brew at bottling route on a milk stout. Also, how long do you let the cold brew steep in the fridge?

So you use 8oz of coffee beans and make the cold brew? I am going the cold brew at bottling route on a milk stout. Also, how long do you let the cold brew steep in the fridge?

No I cold brew the coffee and then use 8 oz of the liquid. The cold brew is strong. Let me look up the numbers. We have a little "kit" to cold brew.

http://toddycafe.com/

I use 7 cups of water and 12 oz of ground coffee.

Not sure of the yeald but I use 8oz of this to my 2 gallon batch.

Back