Adding coffee to carbonated keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathPowe

Reaction score
Howdy,

I kegged up a porter last night, but completely forgot to add the coffee I was planning to add. When kegging I added the priming sugar to naturally carb this one in the keg. I don't really want to pop the lid at this point to add coffee - seems like the release of all the CO2 will mess with my carbonation profile.

So, anyone had success adding coffee to an already carbed keg? The original plan was to add cold brewed coffee with the priming sugar. Think I could add it in a few weeks after it's carbed?

Thanks.

I've added hops, gelatin, spices, etc to carbed kegs a number of times with no ill effects. I will warn you to be fast since sometimes whatever you put in there acts as nucleation sites and can cause some serious foaming. I'll often just do a pressurized transfer between two kegs too which avoids me having to deal with this (place coffee in keg 2, purge with co2, jumper beer out to beer out and push with co2)

Latest posts

Back