Adding cocoa nibs and vanilla bean to stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
I have a 4 gallon big stout nearing the end of fermentation--OG:1.109 now down to 1.030. When I took my last reading it was tasting really good. The plan was to add 3 oz. cocoa nibs and a cut/scraped vanilla bean to the primary the last week prior to bottling.

Here's my question: Without proper planning I placed both the nibs and (properly prepped--cut/scraped) vanilla bean in vodka about 2-3 weeks ago and placed them in tupperware and then to the frig. I've kept the vodka completely covering them. Is there any chance of these items getting mold if sitting in vodka? I don't want to add mold to the beer.

Secondly, I have read several different takes on adding these products:
1. just the nibs and/or bean,
2. adding everything including the vodka,
3. adding only the vodka after such a long soak

Any thoughts? I'd rather play this safe than to overwhelm the flavor of the beer. I made that mistake with my hazelnut brown some time ago!

Thanks

I had 3oz of nibs in about 4 oz of vodka for a 2.5 gallon batch and I couldn't taste it at all. The vanilla should be stronger. There should be no chance of mold if in vodka.

I soaked nibs in a barrel aged Tequila for 3 weeks stored in a cabinet before I pitched them. Nothing was growing on them.

Latest posts

Back