Using cocoa nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRJHops

Why did the rabbit like NEIPA's so much?
Reaction score
The latest Brew Your Own mag has tips on using cocoa nibs in the mash, boil, and secondary. I'm going to give it a go with a chocolate dubbel, 5 gallons.

It's my first time using cocoa nibs and I'm looking for some advice. I've got 20 ounces. I plan to use maybe 4 ounces in both the mash and boil, and 12 ounces via vanilla-vodka tincture in secondary.

A few questions:

Do I need to worry about bitterness and/or perceived bitterness/astringency from the nibs? The guy at the LHBS said not to use them in the boil for this reason. I plan to target the low end of the IBU's for the style, but could go lower if I'm going to get bitterness from the nibs.

I have seen comments about the fat oil from the nibs, and skimming it off from the tincture. Is this correct?

Any other thoughts/advice about using the nibs? The sample recipe in BYO called for even more than 20 ounces, but they are not cheap and I didn't want to pony up for more...

These days most beers with cocoa nibs are pastry stouts where the nibs are poured into barrels or a bright tank without concern for fat content.

I'm not certain if astringency or bitterness is an issue with boiling nibs but I don't know why that would be the best use because you risk boiling off the more delicate flavors. I guess that could be something you would want to do. The best cocoa flavor IMO comes from cold side additions either in a tincture or adding them directly to the beer. The one time I soaked nibs in spirits I didn't have any appreciable fat content to remove.

I've never used them in the mash or boil before. I personally think they'd be wasted in the boil. Possibly even the mash . You will get a darker richer flavor in the mash . If you add them in the mash grind em up . I think they really shine in tinctures. I've added them after fermentation , which turned out good but don't leave in the beer too long or you'll get some astringency and bitterness .

I have a choc milk stout I'm fixing to keg on Thursday. I'm adding the tincture right before that . It's about 2.75 # of nibs and 40 vanilla beans .

Attachments

• 20211206_163328.jpg
    20211206_163328.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
I'll add just the liquid tincture . This is for a 2bbl batch. For a 5 to 5.5 gallon batch I use 4 oz of nibs and 4 or 5 vanilla beans .

I think I've settled on 10 ounces toward the end of the boil, then a tincture with 10 ounces. I plan to add the tincture AND the nibs (for 3 days) in secondary.

I think I've settled on 10 ounces toward the end of the boil, then a tincture with 10 ounces. I plan to add the tincture AND the nibs (for 3 days) in secondary.

Good luck!! Seems like a lot to me but curious on how it comes out for you! The most I've used was 8oz in 6 gallons of an imperial stout, done as a tincture post fermentation and that was VERY chocolate forward.

I will say I’ve become a fan of roasting them. Roast them at 350F for 12-15 min and they give off a flavor more reminiscent of finished chocolate.

Good luck!! Seems like a lot to me but curious on how it comes out for you! The most I've used was 8oz in 6 gallons of an imperial stout, done as a tincture post fermentation and that was VERY chocolate forward.

I will say I’ve become a fan of roasting them. Roast them at 350F for 12-15 min and they give off a flavor more reminiscent of finished chocolate.

Thanks!

So, I did use 20 ounces of nibs. I roasted 10 ounces of the nibs in the oven. I put 5 ounces regular roasted nibs and 5 ounces of my extra roasted in the boil @10. Plus the same 5 +5 via vodka tincture (with the nibs too for 3 days) in secondary. Bottling this weekend so I can report back in 2 weeks or so.

Not sure if you saw article by John Nanci in BYO, but he theorized that 40 ounces would be the right amount for a 5 gal batch! I actually contacted him to see if that was correct, and he was very helpful. He said 32 would work, which is still a ton! He recommended half in the boil and half in secondary. He imports chocolate, so his costs must be a lot lower. Because 32 ounces would be really pricey. I spent $45 on 20 ounces of nibs at my LHBS.

Last edited:
I actually contacted him to see if that was correct, and he was very helpful. He said 32 would work, which is still a ton! He recommended half in the boil and half in secondary. He imports chocolate, so his costs must be a lot lower. Because 32 ounces would be really pricey. I spent $45 on 20 ounces of nibs at my LHBS.

If I was an importer, I would also say more is better, for me, the more you buy, the more money I make. lol

Back