Adding Cinnamon, Nutmeg and a little Wood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamer

Reaction score
I have done a couple of ciders that turned out great. I am wanting to venture a little further though. I am planning on using a honeycomb white oak block, cinnamon sticks and some crushed nutmeg to my next batch. I had some questions on this however. I was wondering the timing in which these things should take place? I am assuming I put the white oak in at the beginning of my fermentation process, but when should I do the cinnamon and nutmeg? Could I put that in at the same time as the wood or would that give too much spice to the cider? I would really appreciate some feedback on this.

I find that with spices I have the best results creating a vodka tincture with the spices then pulling a measured sample of cider/beer and dropping measured amount of tincture into the sample. try it and do it again till you find the right balance then do the math to scale it up to the full batch. You can always add more but you can't take it out is good to remember.

the oak you can do after everything is done. I would take samples regularly to find out if its getting to woody for your tastes.

Back