Adding cilantro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
There's limited information online about adding this to a beer.

I was thinking of mixing some fresh chopped with vodka and just dumping it in the beer.

This beer will be a Pico De Gallo (mango, lime, cilatro) beer.

I was planning on doing the lime zest the last 5 minutes of the boil. Maybe adding some Simply Lime or something. Using brewers best mango flavoring at kegging. Just not sure when to add the fresh cilantro.

The recipe is going to be a simple Mexican style pseudo-lager using some Kolsch yeast.

There's limited information online about adding this to a beer.

I was thinking of mixing some fresh chopped with vodka and just dumping it in the beer.

This beer will be a Pico De Gallo (mango, lime, cilatro) beer.

I was planning on doing the lime zest the last 5 minutes of the boil. Maybe adding some Simply Lime or something. Using brewers best mango flavoring at kegging. Just not sure when to add the fresh cilantro.

The recipe is going to be a simple Mexican style pseudo-lager using some Kolsch yeast.

I like your thinking on this one. A cilantro/vodka tincture added at bottling or kegging would be a thought. Lime zest tinctures work well also...how about both zest and cilantro in vodka together? I have used dry sachets of True Lime crystals vs a liquid like Simply Lime to avoid watering down or adulterating my beer.

I like your thinking on this one. A cilantro/vodka tincture added at bottling or kegging would be a thought. Lime zest tinctures work well also...how about both zest and cilantro in vodka together? I have used dry sachets of True Lime crystals vs a liquid like Simply Lime to avoid watering down or adulterating my beer.

For the tincture, what kind of ratio are you thinking?

How did the crystals vs the liquid compare?

I'm lost on amounts here. I want very all light flavors here so we still taste beer.

For the tincture, what kind of ratio are you thinking?

How did the crystals vs the liquid compare?

I'm lost on amounts here. I want very all light flavors here so we still taste beer.

Lime zest in vodka I use 2 med lime zest in 1.5C of vodka or tequila to infuse a 5G keg. With lime zest a little goes a long way. Not quite as much with the True Lime crystals so KeyWestBrewing and I played with the ratio by adding 1/2 pack to a pint and playing with ratios like that to scale up. Main thing the crystals did not water down the beer, only offered flavor.

Cilantro is a new one on me but I suspect the flavors it offers will be quite mild as an infusion. Maybe you could really finely chop it or even pulse lightly in a food processor prior to covering with vodka. When I add any flavors to a finished beer (at kegging) I add a bit, taste, add a bit, taste..etc. After a few beers I know my scales/ratios, but any new flavors I go slowly.

You got me thinking (for me of course) a touch of jalapeno since cilantro is a good match for that profile. Maybe in a Cream Ale, Kolsch or Pilsner where any flavors would be easily detected? Of course we are thinking outside the box, but I call that a good thing.

Most of my ideas are from a buddy to tell you the truth. I entered a contest and my random ingredient that was chosen was cilantro.

I think that this beer may actually be very good.

Did you do it?
How did it turn out?

I was suggesting cilantro Kolsch to my wife the other day just to see her eyes roll. Yup. Werked.

Back