Adding bugs to already fermented beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I have a cream ale that somehow got some wild yeast and a nice tang to it. It has sat for quite a while and I finally just carbed it up and put it on tap. It's good. However, it's not sour enough.

What's the best way to sour it a bit more? Is it already done for since I carbed it? I have a wyeast pack of Roselare sitting around. Can I just add this with a bit of sugar and let it go? Or do I need to do something else?

Let it warm up and release all the carbonation over the period of a few days. You can shake it while holding the release valve to speed up the process.

Then, I would add some malto dextrin and your bugs. If your beer is infected already, there might not be enough sugar left to get you by without the dextrin. I would also pick up a pack of lactic acid and add that to the beer.

The bacteria can plow right through Malto Dextrin, the bugs can ferment almost anything.

Oh ok, I didn't know that. I guess I'll try adding some lactic acid first. If that sours it up enough for me then I'll stick with it. Otherwise I'll add the malto and bugs.

Latest posts

Back