Adding bugs to already fermented beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I have a cream ale that somehow got some wild yeast and a nice tang to it. It has sat for quite a while and I finally just carbed it up and put it on tap. It's good. However, it's not sour enough.

What's the best way to sour it a bit more? Is it already done for since I carbed it? I have a wyeast pack of Roselare sitting around. Can I just add this with a bit of sugar and let it go? Or do I need to do something else?

Let it warm up and release all the carbonation over the period of a few days. You can shake it while holding the release valve to speed up the process.

Then, I would add some malto dextrin and your bugs. If your beer is infected already, there might not be enough sugar left to get you by without the dextrin. I would also pick up a pack of lactic acid and add that to the beer.

The bacteria can plow right through Malto Dextrin, the bugs can ferment almost anything.

Oh ok, I didn't know that. I guess I'll try adding some lactic acid first. If that sours it up enough for me then I'll stick with it. Otherwise I'll add the malto and bugs.

Back