Adding brown sugar to an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormser

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of lagunitas brown shugga so I was thinking about adding brown sugar to an IPA styled beer. I don't know how it would be with an IPA and I don't know how much to add to a 5 gallon batch. I heard to add it during the boiling though. Any help would be great

The brown sugar will ferment out of the beer for the most part, and with all the hops in there, it will get covered up for sure. My buddy used some in a hoppy pale ale as priming sugar (figure out how much you would need compared to the normal priming sugar) and he said that it added a little bit of sweetness, but he liked it, so there's that.

beergynt said:
Here is a good starting point.

I can't follow that. I don't know what half the initials stand for. I need beginner step by step directions. I'm incredibly new at this

That's an all-grain recipe. If you're really new to this, you probably don't have the equipment necessary for all-grain. All you need is a kettle big enough to do a full boil and a cooler that's been converted to a mash tun, BTW. Brown sugar is fermentable but any sugar is going to thin out the beer. Beer gets its flavor and mouthfeel from malted barley, not sugar. So you need to be careful not to add too much sugar. Have you brewed any IPAs before? What's your brewing method? (BIAB? partial mash?)

That's an all-grain recipe. If you're really new to this, you probably don't have the equipment necessary for all-grain. All you need is a kettle big enough to do a full boil and a cooler that's been converted to a mash tun, BTW. Brown sugar is fermentable but any sugar is going to thin out the beer. Beer gets its flavor and mouthfeel from malted barley, not sugar. So you need to be careful not to add too much sugar. Have you brewed any IPAs before? What's your brewing method? (BIAB? partial mash?)

this is what i did with my first batch. it was easy to do and easy instructions for a new brewer

http://www.brewandgrow.com/brew/ingredient-kits/extract/india-pale-ale-brewers-best.html

Back