Adding bourbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlhutson

Reaction score
I am planning in making a Black IPA in the near future. I want to give it a little taste of bourbon. My plan is to soak oak chips in the bourbon and add them to the last 15 minutes of the boil. Any thoughts on this and Black IPAs in general would be appreciated. Especially since Black IPA seems to be a fairly ambiguous style.

I would soak the chips and put them in the secondary instead. The boil might pull unwanted chemicals out of the wood.

I've heard of this done two ways...I wouldn't boil the wood chips. Soak your chips in bourbon for a week or so(most folks just soak for the duration of primary fermentation). The alcohol in the bourbon should kill off any critters in the wood chips. Then add them straight to your secondary. The second way is the same as the first but you actually pour in your soaking bourbon as well. Just depends on how pronounced you want the flavor. This method will affect your ending ABV too.

What bourbon were you planning on using?

Also by putting them in the secondary, you can take samples and pull the chips once you get the desired oak/bourbon combo

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure what bourbon I will use just yet. Any suggestions?

Guess it depends on your price point and what your looking for. Devils Cut 6yo might be interesting, while Blantons original single barrel is an outstanding bourbon

I got 2oz of some French Oak chips that I toasted at 225*F for @ 45 minutes, dumped into a pastic cup container, and poured 5oz of Jim Bean Maple Bourbon. I'm letting 'em soak for another week before adding to my Monk Tophula Quad which has been currently bulk aging in a secondary for about a month now, going to oak it for about another month before Bottling.

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure what bourbon I will use just yet. Any suggestions?

Born and raised in KY here so I know a few things on fine bourbons. There are plenty of great bourbons out there for brewing. Based on where you are you should probably be able to get your hands on some Makers Mark or Jim Beam(8yr not 4). These have great flavor profiles. Woodford Reserve would work great too! These are all reasonably priced.

Stay away from what I consider well bourbons (4yr Beam, Heaven Hill, Seagrams). For whatever reason these have an oxidized flavor...to me anyway.

If you happen to get your hands on some Blanton's, Basil Hayden's, or Four Roses then you need to change the process a bit. Do everything we have all told you to do above...then grab a clean glass(no need to sterilize), add in 2 large cubes of ice, pour in 2-3 ounces of bourbon, swirl, sip, and enjoy while your liquid love bubbles away in the Carboy!:mug:

Yeah. Use the search tool :) there are plenty of good threads out there

I love a good bourbon and drink them regularly. But I can't imagine one being able to tell the difference between oak chips soaked in $12 crap bourbon vs. $50 Blanton's? Would the difference between the two bourbons really show up in the brew? Maybe those that have done it before will let us know.

If you want to keep it simple, assuming a 5 gallon batch of beer.... 1/2 pint of Maker's Mark (or other) dumped into the bottling bucket or keg is all you need.

Back