Adding boiled cider to apple juice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Symons3rd

Reaction score
Boiled cider is just apple just that has been reduced, usually about 8 to 1. I am thinking of adding boiled cider to apple juice and trying to ferment them together to raise the sugar content of my juice. Has anyone done this. FYI I own an apple orchard and i have plenty of juice to experiment with. I also make my own boiled cider. https://www.amazon.com/W-C-M-Boiled-Cider/dp/B00DUF2SWA

I haven't used boiled cider but there are many of us cider makers who add frozen apple juice concentrate for flavor and ABV. Your method would accomplish this while giving you control of the type of apples that you want in your cider. Maybe add after initial ferrmentation to retain more flavor. I say go for it!

That’ll definitely work. It’s how they make fajc.
An easier way would be to freeze concentrate the juice. Freeze the juice in milk jugs or similar containers and while they thaw, turn the jugs upside down.
be sure to take gravity readings along the way.

the upside to this method is reducing the chance of haze in your finished cider.

also set some of the concentrates juice for backsweetening.

Good luck.

A little different from what you are thinking, but Big fish cider co makes a cider called "fireside" where they boil the juice down a bit over a fire to concentrate it before fermenting for a product that sounds similar to ice cider. Never tried it so let us know how it tastes if you do.

Not sure I have the room to freeze concrete the juice. Think I will try to run a small pressing this weekend, maybe make a batch I also like dry cider so I am going to try it in the primary.

Back