Adding a presure valve to a coke lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liljohn

Brewer and father
Reaction score
Has anyone ever drilled a coke lid to add the pressure valve like in a pepsi lid? Just wondering if there are any instructions about doing it ore any advise.

thanks.

I sure have 'Lil John

You'll want this relief valve:

thumbnail.asp

http://www.homebrewing.org/Keg-pressure-relief-valve-assembly_p_3502.html

Remove the Coke relief valve innards
Saw off the valve dome.
Open up the hole with a step-drill until the new valve fits.
Clean up all the sharp edges with a Dremel tool.

'da Kid

Why would you need one? You can simply stick a Gas Quick Disconnect onto the gas post. Or push the poppet down with a screwdriver. I have several of those, and they work fine as is.

Agreed, a manual PRV valve is nice to have, but not a necessity IMO.

The PRV will run about $10-15. I've seen entire replacement lids with PRVs for about that much. Just replace the whole thing and save yourself the time/effort.

Wouldn't it be easier to just swap the lid with one equipped with a PRV? AIH sells new lids for only $2 more than the PRV by itself. You could probably find used ones for a little less.

-edit- Wow - I see that two of us were having the same thought at the same time!

Listen to jrcrilly. That guy is a genius!

Oh and I have PRVs on all my pin lock kegs. It's just much easier to deal with the PRVs than pressing the gas poppet with a screwdriver, especially when hooked up in my kegerator.

I find my fingernail works best on depressing those poppets. I always have ten depressers with me and no tools needed :D

Do you file your nails to points? My fingernails would not push the poppets down far enough the open them!!!

Nope. I even clip them flush with my nailbed. Those poppets don't need to go down much to release gas.

I find my fingernail works best on depressing those poppets. I always have ten depressers with me and no tools needed :D

Works awesome until you fill it until the gas out tube is in the beer and you go to purge it at 40 PSI.

Beer errrrverywhere.

There was a lesson there though, get that starsan foam out of the keg so you can see what you're doing.

Thanks all, I basically came to the same conclusion that it is easiest to just buy a new lid. I do understand I can depress the poppet to also get some relief. I think the reason I will covert the one coke lid I have is because I have 1 coke lid and it is the odd ball in the group. Thanks again, later ~lj

Back