Added too much hop.. WAY too much..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjangmes

Reaction score
The recipe called for a total of 7oz of hop during boiling for a 6 gallon batch...

Well, I changed the recipe to 2 gallon batch... so should have used only a third of hops too.. but I forgot about it and put all the hops in..

It's Centennial with alpha acid of 8.7%....

am I screwed??:(:(:(:(:(:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

I LOVE HOPS! I'm just scared. The recipe calls for dry hopping during primary... should I bother with dry hopping since I hopped so much already?????

Well, that depends on when the hops were used in the boil. If there were a ton right at flameout and/or very late in the boil, then you might not need to dry hop so much. If most of the hops were early in the boil, then I'd say go ahead. Dry hopping mainly is for aroma and has very little effect on bitterness and little to no effect on flavor.

thanks! Most of the hopping was done early during the boil. I'll definitely go ahead with dry hopping now!

i have one more question... I do not have a keg, so after doing primary fermentation, I put it straight into a bottle. The dry hopping asks to be hopped on Day 12 as well. If I wait that long during primary, my FG will have gone down significantly.

If I bottle it at low FG, there won't be any carbonation, meaning I'd have to add sugar... can I somehow avoid this step? I'd like to keep the beer "Rheinheigtsgbot" style..

Thanks!

thanks! Most of the hopping was done early during the boil. I'll definitely go ahead with dry hopping now!

i have one more question... I do not have a keg, so after doing primary fermentation, I put it straight into a bottle. The dry hopping asks to be hopped on Day 12 as well. If I wait that long during primary, my FG will have gone down significantly.

If I bottle it at low FG, there won't be any carbonation, meaning I'd have to add sugar... can I somehow avoid this step? I'd like to keep the beer "Rheinheigtsgbot" style..

Thanks!

Personally, I'd always let it ferment out, clear and then use priming sugar to bottle it up. There's nothing wrong with priming sugar and it won't affect your beer at all. Plus, trying to bottle before it reaches FG leads to unpredictable carb levels and lots more trub in the bottle.

Prime with DME? That is from barley...

You want to dry hop later in fermentation when there is little CO2 going out the airlock because if you dump a bunch of hops into actively fermenting wort you will send all that fantastic aroma right out the airlock with the CO2. When things are quiet that aroma will go right into the bottles to be enjoyed shortly after bottling.

You never bottle when the beer still needs to ferment. That's a sure way to ensure bottle bombs. Let the yeast finish. Bottle when FG has been stable for a few days.

Back