Added strawberries, forgot gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravid

Reaction score
Anyone got a kind of chart or anything of the sugar content in fruit and berries?

I added the berries into the secondary fermentation, but I totally forgot to measure the new gravity afterwards.
Is there a way to make a rough estimate?

I found my gravity didn't change really after I added strawberries.
I added 4 1/2 pounds of frozen strawberries to primary (I didn't bother with secondary) 11 days after I brewed. My OG was 1.047, FG was 1.004 when I tossed in the strawberries. When I bottled, the gravity was 1.004 still. For whatever reason, there was no further fermentation on that batch using Denny's 50 yeast. I only left it on strawberries for 5 days. If it did ferment, it was insignificant to be detected by a hydrometer. I asked my LHBS about that, they said the yeast was probably just not viable anymore. Sounded legit. :)

Anyone got a kind of chart or anything of the sugar content in fruit and berries?

I added the berries into the secondary fermentation, but I totally forgot to measure the new gravity afterwards.
Is there a way to make a rough estimate?

If you brewed an average strength beer the water in the berries and the sugar are a fairly even addition. The added sugar probably will not make much of a change in alcohol content.

I found my gravity didn't change really after I added strawberries.
I added 4 1/2 pounds of frozen strawberries to primary (I didn't bother with secondary) 11 days after I brewed. My OG was 1.047, FG was 1.004 when I tossed in the strawberries. When I bottled, the gravity was 1.004 still. For whatever reason, there was no further fermentation on that batch using Denny's 50 yeast. I only left it on strawberries for 5 days. If it did ferment, it was insignificant to be detected by a hydrometer. I asked my LHBS about that, they said the yeast was probably just not viable anymore. Sounded legit. :)

The guys at your LHBS got it a bit wrong, the yeast did ferment the strawberries. The FG goes up when you add the fruit then it goes back down as the yeast eat the sugar that is in the fruit. The reason it ended in the same place is the yeast consumed all the sugar in the fruit.

Thanks for the answer.

Don't know why I never checked with wikipedia. I use it for everything else in life (except school) so why shouldn't they know how much sugar there's in strawberries as well :)

If you care what the strawberries will do to the gravity, estimate the amount of sugar in the strawberries and add it to the OG. Depending on the fruit, the sugar added might be insignificant. Strawberries for example have very little sugar compared to other fruits.

When I added 4.5lb of strawberries to my 5gal of saison the fermentation started again and went for a couple days, but ended at the same FG as before adding the berries, telling me that most or all of the sugar in the berries was fermented away.

Latest posts

Back