Added priming sugar to primary - What now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
Title says it all.....idiot mistake.....Added the primimg sugar to the primary instead of racking to bottling bucket first. As soon as I stirred it up, I knew I had screwed up majorly.

Anyone ever done this before and had the beer turn out decent?

What should I do at this point?

Title says it all.....idiot mistake.....Added the primimg sugar to the primary instead of racking to bottling bucket first. As soon as I stirred it up, I knew I had screwed up majorly.

Anyone ever done this before and had the beer turn out decent?

What should I do at this point?

Let it ferment out for a week and try again next weekend. It wont hurt anything but you are going to want to wait for the beer to clear again and for that sugar to ferment. A week should be fine.

Did you just put priming sugar in the primary then rack to the bottling bucket? Not a big deal. Relax and drink a beer, bro. You'll be fine.

So with the additional fermentation taking place wont my attenuation be increased signifigantly giving me a higher ABV? Maybe some off flavors?

No you're adding a tiny amount more sugar to your beer. When you bottle carb with sugar it only raises the ABV by like .005% iir, so you're not doing much to your beer. Just relax.

Did you just put priming sugar in the primary then rack to the bottling bucket? Not a big deal. Relax and drink a beer, bro. You'll be fine.

No - I added sugar to primary, stired and saw the beer turn brown from the trub....Said a few choice words about my intelligence....Put the lid on and fired up the laptop to HBT. This was my first AG batch too....I had super high hopes for this one. Ohh well.....got another bacth to brew this weekend at some point.

I'll let it sit for a week and try again. Should I reduce my priming sugar when I go to bottle next? Do I need to worry about it being over carbed?

I'll let it sit for a week and try again. Should I reduce my priming sugar when I go to bottle next? Do I need to worry about it being over carbed?

No...the point of letting it ferment out is to eat the sugar you added.....it's not going to be there when you bottle, so it can't be overcarbed.

Well after dumping your priming sugar into the primary you could have just racked it to your bottling bucket and bottled it. The sugar would be thoroughly mixed into the beer by racking it over. It's not like the sugar went anywhere in such a short period of time...

Or you could just let that priming sugar ferment out and try again in a week with new priming sugar.

Well after dumping your priming sugar into the primary you could have just racked it to your bottling bucket and bottled it. The sugar would be thoroughly mixed into the beer by racking it over. It's not like the sugar went anywhere in such a short period of time...

Or you could just let that priming sugar ferment out and try again in a week with new priming sugar.

No he couldn't because as he stated he stirred in the priming sugar which suspended his entire trub/yeast cake. Best thing is to just let it ride until it clears again then rack to bottling bucket with priming soln as usual.

And actually 1 lb of sugar will raise ABV by 1 % so assuming you used 1/4 lb of sugar it will raise ABV by .25 so if you were going to have a 5% ABV ale you will now have 5.25%, not a real big change but a lot more than was stated earlier.

No he couldn't because as he stated he stirred in the priming sugar which suspended his entire trub/yeast cake. Best thing is to just let it ride until it clears again then rack to bottling bucket with priming soln as usual.

And actually 1 lb of sugar will raise ABV by 1 % so assuming you used 1/4 lb of sugar it will raise ABV by .25 so if you were going to have a 5% ABV ale you will now have 5.25%, not a real big change but a lot more than was stated earlier.

Yeah - no dice there...it went from a beautiful clear IPA to looking like a mud puddle.

It will clear in no time. What has not yet been mentioned here, though, is that the act of agitating all that sleeping yeast most likely kick-started some active fermentation. Not only are you going to have that tiny bit of sugar adding to ABV, but you are going to possibly drop a point or two in gravity from where it was.. more attenuation due to agitation.

Still, no biggie.. just annoying that you have to wait a little longer.

Back