Added Priming Sugar, Got Sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieJ

Reaction score
On Sunday I had planned to bottle. I had gotten two identical hydrometer readings two days apart. I got so far as adding the priming sugar (it's in the primary still. Both of my buckets are full of drinkables, so I don't have a bottling bucket anymore) and then came down with a fever (103!) that's kept me in bed a few days. With an 8 week old I don't get a whole lot done in general, either, so here it is Thursday and I haven't taken any hydrometer readings.

Is there a chance the sugar would still be fermenting (and make me risk bottle bombs)? Do I *really* need to take two more hydrometer readings several days apart? My husband is home from work today and I'm really hoping to bottle and brew another batch today, but I'm just wondering how long it should have taken for the sugar to do its thing so I can add some more and proceed as usual.

Wait, you added the priming sugar to your fermenter? Why?

Since you added fermentables, you really should be checking gravity otherwise you will risk a lot of activity in the bottles which will lead to bottle bombs IF you add MORE priming sugar.

In general, you add the priming sugar at bottling time and not to your fermenter.

What was the FG before you added the priming solution? What is it at right now? I also just add the priming sugar to my bottling bucket and rack onto it.

I believe the issue is that both bottling buckets are being used as primary's, and you were in the process of bottling when you fell ill. Hence adding the priming sugar to rack to bottles.

Correct?

I would guess that the priming sugar - it wouldn't have been much - would have fermented out. It was what, 5 ounces? In a week? Certainly you wouldn't need two more reading (you have the before). I'd be tempted to not take any (although you usually have an odd amount of beer on bottling day anyway to spare for another reading).

You'll need to add more sugar for bottling.

I believe the issue is that both bottling buckets are being used as primary's, and you were in the process of bottling when you fell ill. Hence adding the priming sugar to rack to bottles.

Correct?

Exactly. I would rack to a bottling bucket but I don't have one since my "bottling bucket" is basically just another 6-gallon pail. I just gently stirred the sugar in.

And I did use 3/4 cup, or around 5 oz.

Sorry you're not feeling well and congrats on the new addition to the family. I'm a little confused about the situation. You added priming sugar to your primary fermentor with yeast cake and all? And then didn't bottle it? If it's been more than a couple days, it's gone. Call it a mini alcohol boost. So you're going to need some more priming sugar.

I'm also a little confused on how you're going to bottle without a bottling bucket. Siphon to the bottling wand, funnel or ... ? Anyway, it sounds like a nightmare. I'd get another bucket with spigot. They don't cost that much and if you're pipeline is that tight, you need another anyway. Order one online if you don't have time to get out to the LHBS. Get some ingredients while you're at it to save on shipping.

lets see sugar is about 40pts/lb/gal, so 5oz in 5 gall should be about 2 points (1 to 2)... yeah I'm in the 'add 5 more oz' crowd. Take a hydro reading if you like, but unless it is +2 from your previous FG I'd not worry about it. 1 grav point is hard to see.

I've done the 'add sugar to primary' before. Works ok with wheats and other hazy's but I don't like it for clear beer. No matter how hard you try you stir up some trub, but sometimes you just need to get that pipeline going.

If you have a lhbs I'd suggest you get another bottling bucket.

how in the world can you use your bottling bucket to ferment things in? try as i might, mine leaks like crazy and on the rare occasion when i bottle something (usually mead) i put a glass beneath the thing and gather about 4 oz. of leaked fluid in the 15 minutes it takes to bottle.
i've tried replacing gaskets etc....now i just consider it an acceptable problem, but i couldn't imagine leaving anything in it for long.

I'm in the add more sugar and bottle crowd. It's likely completely fermented out. The amount of sugar you added is less than you would typically add to a yeast starter, and that's going to ferment out in a couple of days max.

lets see sugar is about 40pts/lb/gal, so 5oz in 5 gall should be about 2 points (1 to 2)... yeah I'm in the 'add 5 more oz' crowd. Take a hydro reading if you like, but unless it is +2 from your previous FG I'd not worry about it. 1 grav point is hard to see.

I've done the 'add sugar to primary' before. Works ok with wheats and other hazy's but I don't like it for clear beer. No matter how hard you try you stir up some trub, but sometimes you just need to get that pipeline going.

If you have a lhbs I'd suggest you get another bottling bucket.

Spot on! We really need to get the next batch going :D

It is a wheat, actually.

I'm just getting into this and have already spent this month's brewing budget
on a SS pot.

And for those of you who wonder how it works, it's just a 6 gallon pail. I have two of them for fermenting in. Last time I only had one full fermenter so I used the empty to rack into for bottling.

I'm not worried about the sugar being gone (I assumed I'd have to add more), I'm worried about it not being gone and causing bottle bombs later on. I will add more sugar and bottle today, I think :)

Thanks to everyone who's helped me out.

Spot on! We really need to get the next batch going :D

It is a wheat, actually.

I'm just getting into this and have already spent this month's brewing budget
on a SS pot.

And for those of you who wonder how it works, it's just a 6 gallon pail. I have two of them for fermenting in. Last time I only had one full fermenter so I used the empty to rack into for bottling.

I'm not worried about the sugar being gone (I assumed I'd have to add more), I'm worried about it not being gone and causing bottle bombs later on. I will add more sugar and bottle today, I think :)

Thanks to everyone who's helped me out.

homebrewfinds.com has exceptions deals from all over... look at the pot they mention 9 SS gallon with drilled 1/2 spout for $70.

Also I use bottling buckets for primaries, I dislike syphoning. And it works for me, other have problems with the spikets I guess but I haven't. I've done this for one beer it was ok and a wheat :) Now you can get this bucket empty and use it for bottling the next batch.

Back