Added honey when bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So we bottled last night and we decided to add a half cup of honey to the bottling bucket for about 4 gallons of beer. Will this have any affect on the beer at all?

I should mention we also used our regular amount of corn sugar.

I wouldn't wait and see. I'd be worried to be honest. Make sure you keep those bottles covered and out of the way of anything you don't want beer on.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387594404.960174.jpg

I put them in this container with the lid on.

Let's hope they make it. Besides creating missiles out of the bottles will the honey have any affect on the taste of the beer?

Let's hope they make it. Besides creating missiles out of the bottles will the honey have any affect on the taste of the beer?
yeah. it either won't ferment very well and give you a sweeter beer or it will ferment well and pop a few bottles. :p

Using this online calculator you can figure out how many volumes of CO2 you'll have.

http://www.homebrewing.com/calculators/?page=tools&section=sugar

I'm guessing that your regular amount of corn sugar is in the 3 to 4oz range? If your bottle temp is 65 degrees that's going to give you in the range of 5 volumes of CO2, which is way too high. Open one each week and see what the carbonation level is. If they haven't turned into gushers put them all in the fridge. It'll at least slow down the production of CO2 to give you time to drink them all before they over carbonate.

Back