Add Sugar or Malt to Increase ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singletrack

Because it's judgement that defeats us.
Reaction score
I like Black Butte Porter (BBP), so I decided to brew a clone this weekend. The commercial beer is 5.2% ABV, according to the bottle. My clone recipe is 5.5%. Although I like BBP as is, I think it would be better at about 6.5% ABV. To get there, I think I would just add 2-row or just add cane sugar. How will each of these change the final beer from the commercial version (other than ABV)? Thanks!

Sugar will thin it out a little while malt should...well...provide a greater malt presence but leave the beer relatively the same. Hope this helps

Hmmm. Yeah, I was afraid that was the answer. I really don't have enough 2-row, but I don't want a thinner beer. So now I will need to consider a few substitutions and maybe a combo of malt and sugar. This was going to be the one time I followed a recipe, but nahhhhh, what's the fun of that?

Back